Sign in with
Your question

Need some help with possible video card/motherboard issue.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2008 1:16:59 AM

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a lower-end desktop PC with an Nforce 430 chipset motherboard in it. It has GeForce 6150 integrated graphics on the board, and I ordered an EVGA GeForce 8800GT Superclocked card to give it some gaming capabilities. I have also upgraded the power supply.

However, after looking at the motherboard itself, I am starting to doubt if my card will fit. There is plenty of room for the length of the card(and the power cable) in the case, but I am concerned about the width. Here is an image of the board in question:

The issue is that it looks like there isn't much room between the RAM clips and the heatsink for the onboard graphics chip. When the RAM is inserted and the clips are up, it looks like a card might fit in the gap, but I can't seem to find an exact thickness of the card so I am unsure.

Therefore, my question is this: once I deactivate the on-board video, is it safe to take the heat sink off? I am sure that the card will fit it I do this, but I don't want to damage anything on the board. Is this something I could do, or should I look for another card that doesn't have the full plastic casing/heatsink on it?

Thanks for the help!
September 30, 2008 1:30:18 AM

That heatsink seems like it's for chipset instead of onboard video, if so, no it's not safe to take off. Is the heatsink actually taller than the height of the pciex16 socket? It's hard to tell from that picture. If it's lower, it'll be fine. The thickness of the card extends down, so the ram slots won't conflict at all, only possibly heatsink.
September 30, 2008 3:09:03 AM

I just measured the heatsink and it extends a half inch from the board, a tad bit taller than the PCIEX16 slot. I just put my brother's card(an EVGA 8600GTS) in the case and it fit perfectly. Does this mean that the 8800 GT will fit the same way? I know that the 8800 is longer, but as long as it sits as high as the 8600 GTS from the heat sink, I'm golden.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Related resources
September 30, 2008 3:19:34 AM

zammel said:
I just measured the heatsink and it extends a half inch from the board, a tad bit taller than the PCIEX16 slot. I just put my brother's card(an EVGA 8600GTS) in the case and it fit perfectly. Does this mean that the 8800 GT will fit the same way? I know that the 8800 is longer, but as long as it sits as high as the 8600 GTS from the heat sink, I'm golden.

All help is greatly appreciated.

If it's only a tiny bit, and a 8600gts fit, the 8800gt should fit.
September 30, 2008 3:33:40 AM

dagger said:
If it's only a tiny bit, and a 8600gts fit, the 8800gt should fit.

Awesome, thanks for the help, dagger. I was doubting if I should even open the card when I receive it, but I now think that there's a very safe chance it'll work. And if not, I'll just have to find someone to sell it to. :) 
!