Sign in with
Your question

Gaming PC acting really weird

Last response: in Systems
September 5, 2008 10:21:06 AM

Lately, I've been getting a lot of BSODs on this home built system of mine. the computer has worked flawlessly for about 8 months. But its acting up now. Seems like whenever I try to stress the CPU by running Prime95 or OCCT, it will blue screen with a different error each time. 95% of the time the error is about IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Then I once got a BSOD for ataport.sys and then one was completely generic (no specific error code, no system file mentioned) and then the latest one was just a blue screen....literally, just a blue screen, no words.

It also blue screens if I use my xbox media center extender to watch video from this PC. I use transcode 360 to stream to my xbox.

I thought this might have had something to do with my temps, but the CPU is usually under 60C.

Its probably not the memory, because I ran memtest for 1 pass and Vista's built-in memory diagnostic Tool. Both cameback with no errors.

Its probably not the GPU since I had two instances of rthdribl running, with the evga 8800GTX running at 90C for about 20 mins and nothing happened.

Any suggestions appreciated!!!

Specs:
Q6600 @2.4Ghz
4GB OCZ @ 800Mhz
eVGA 8800 GTX
PSU OCZ GameXtreme 700W
Thermalright Ultima-90.

Thanks much!!!

More about : gaming acting weird

September 5, 2008 11:55:10 AM

What mobo?

Is OS SP1?
September 5, 2008 12:04:49 PM

The MOBO is a GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0. I've upgraded to the latest firmware after these problems started occuring but that made no difference. I have the latest non-Beta nvidia drivers. And I also have ntune installed. I've tested each ram stick separately with memtest but no errors.

So now I was doing a 'thorough' chdsk and I got a bsod for DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and this time the system file was ecache.sys.
Related resources
September 5, 2008 1:27:20 PM

Power supply.

Right timeframe too.

You can read the mini dumps and find the module that killed it- there's a few sites that'll walk you through the process. IRQL isn't as useful as you'd think.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 5, 2008 1:46:21 PM

Reinstall or repair Windows.
September 5, 2008 1:53:16 PM

Ram,

Try one stick at a time and see if one causes errors and the other doesnt.

Run memtest86 all night
September 5, 2008 2:13:57 PM

purduephotog said:
Power supply.

Right timeframe too.

You can read the mini dumps and find the module that killed it- there's a few sites that'll walk you through the process. IRQL isn't as useful as you'd think.

Hey, what do you mean when you say 'right timeframe'? Do you think 700W is not enough for that system? Or is it just that its starting to misbehave?

I already tried debugging the minidumps. Every minidump has a different .sys file in it, if at all.

Thanks for all the suggesstions!!! Keep 'em coming!!!
September 6, 2008 12:39:43 PM

Just cuz memtest checks out doesn't mean the system is stable. Prime/Orthos x2 will have to be run for 8 hours. And a few hours of 3dmark in a loop.

Go to bios and up vdimm by +0.1v.

Is Vista SP1?
September 7, 2008 3:09:45 PM

Hi,

I am glad to announce the problem has been identified and fixed. You were spot on auscanzukus!!! It was the voltage. I increased it and then voila! I even ran Prime95 overnight and its all good.

But then I got BSODs while streaming videos from Vista Media Center to by Xbox extender. BSODs for 'BAD_POOL_CALLER' It turned out that the file in question was lltdio.sys. So I went to the Realtek website and got the latest LAN drivers and that fixed another BSOD.

So now ALL is good. NO MORE BSODs!!!

Thank you all!!!
!