Sign in with
Your question

Careful about Thermaltake Power Supplies

Last response: in Components
November 25, 2008 2:53:20 PM

One of my sons got a Thrermaltake 1200 with a new system. Didn't get individual receipts...just the system. The Thermaltake PS fried (several capacitors melted) and ate the mobo with it. He contacted Thermaltake and they said that unless he could produce the receipt for the PS itself they would not replace it and certainly would do nothing about the mobo.

For various reasons the supplier won't do anything (another story). The PS is about 6 months old. If you are considering a Thermaltake you may want to reconsider.
November 25, 2008 3:04:16 PM

I've had similar things happen with Corsair and Antec TBH. These days I just buy cheap PSUs because if you can't trust the £100 or more power supplies why bother?

It was probably bad luck on my part with the ones I had, but I really can't see a point.
November 25, 2008 3:11:27 PM

i dont agree, i personnaly only trust WELL KNOW PSU brand.

my TT toughpower 600 is runing for 2yrs without a miss. its like EVERYTHINK that is new, it can be bad ....

can happen whit RAM-CPU-MOBO and even PSU....
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 25, 2008 3:15:57 PM

BeakrUK - Do you mean you bought complete pc's which included Corsair and Antec power supplies or do you mean you purchased a variety of components and built your own pc?

Battledad - Did you go to Thermaltake's web site and register the psu immediately upon receipt?
November 25, 2008 3:25:00 PM

What country? In UK, very strong Sale of Goods act, claim against supplier you paid the money to.

Mike.
November 25, 2008 4:30:35 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
BeakrUK - Do you mean you bought complete pc's which included Corsair and Antec power supplies or do you mean you purchased a variety of components and built your own pc?

Both built myself, I never buy ready built machines. To be fair the supplier couldn't have been more helpful after then blew. Swapped out the Corsair without any problems. At least it didn't fry anything. The Antec blew and took out the GFX card, which was less than 3 months old (X800XT PE, which set me back about £250 at the time). Again, supplier was brilliant, but obviously they wouldn't give me a new GFX card, and after a back-and-forth for a couple of weeks with Antec I just wrote it off, and decided I wouldn't buy their products again. This was on two different builds.

As it is, I've got a cheap (GBP£30) 650W "EZCool" piece of crap instead, and it's been going strong for over 2 years without faltering.
November 25, 2008 4:54:55 PM

"One of my sons got a Thrermaltake 1200 with a new system. Didn't get individual receipts...just the system. The Thermaltake PS fried (several capacitors melted) and ate the mobo with it. He contacted Thermaltake and they said that unless he could produce the receipt for the PS itself they would not replace it and certainly would do nothing about the mobo."

This is normal, your son should have asked for a detailed receipt for his system. Even with it all on one receipt but with individual pricing for components Thermaltake would have accepted it. I've been using my TT Toughpower 750 for over a year now and its pushing two 4870's with no problems. I have had one TT PSU that needed replacement, it fell off a shelf and dropped 5' to the floor. Totally my fault but TT replaced it with no questions asked other then a reciept for it.
November 25, 2008 11:46:42 PM

Sounds like there are a few people here that have had some bad experiences...

However, it doesn't justify spending little to no money on a decent PSU. This is the most important component in the entire system and the wrong selection could mean your machine working or not. Antec, Corsair and Thermaltake all make good PSU's however, there cheap ones are also cheap for a reason. Cheap unknown companies will use inferior components that will fail quicker or under less strain.

In relation to replacement you really need to pressure the original seller for either a proper component listed reciept or get them to work it out with their supplier.
November 26, 2008 11:43:04 PM

chookman said:
Cheap unknown companies will use inferior components that will fail quicker or under less strain.

Just over 2 years, never a day's problem, always turns on, always boots, never fried a single thing in the rig....
!