AMD Overdrive support for Win 7 64-bit?

whiteshadow_22

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I've got an AMD 6000+ dual core @3.Ghz stock.

My GFX is a Radeon 4850 at stock speed.

4GB's RAM.

I play COD 5 a lot but sometimes my FPS drops below 125 which it's capped at on some maps.

My FPS doesn't improve when I lower the resolution so I'm pretty sure my CPU is bottlenecking my game speed.

I'll prob get a Phenom 2 in the near future but I want to use AMD Overdrive to help overclock my CPU until then.

Does anyone know if there's a version which runs on Windows 7 64-bit?

And I'm a noob to OC'ing. Any tips on where to start?

Thanks for any help.

whiteshadow_22

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks.

Overdrive isn't working for me, it starts to initialize then says "AMD Overdrive" failed to start.

After doing some research I think it's due tomy chipset. I'm using an ASRock K10N78.

Looks like I'l have to overclock from the BIOS.

Thanks for the links.

I'll do a lot of reading up before I change any settings.

ru_1980

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I am having the same issue with AMD overdrive. Fails to start....

The system:
Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 (AMD 790FX and SB750)
AMD Phenom II X3 705e
Windows 7 64 bit
Kingston Hyperx DDR3 1333 CL7 (4GB)
Segate 250 GB SATA priamary drive (C:)
Western Digital 320 GB secondary (D:)
Sapphire Radeon HD5770 VApour-X

The AMD overdrive I am trying to run is version 3.1. The question I have is, what bios settings should I have selected to get this to work properly....or does it even have anything to do with bios? I tried changing a few things, but I didn't go into huge detail. All I get when I start up AMD overdrive is the regular legal stuff then an "AMD OVERDRIVE FAILED TO START" message. In Bios I tried turning off the fan and cpu controls, tried turning on EC firmware as hybrid and normal. If anyone has a similar gigabyte board to this one and could share the important settings that would be great. I tried looking around for some info but it is stetchy at best. Any ideas guys and gals?

Thanks

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Except Overdrive lets you change individual core multipliers, while the BIOS does not. =)

Well I run all my cores at the same exact clocks.... AOD is great for users that run CnQ. If you are just trying to get the max OC out of your system you should stay away from AOD.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

You can have different cores running at different speeds. It's a lot of work to do, but you can set programs to run on individual cores and you can set things up so one core might be running at a higher speed, while the rest runs at lower speeds, utilizing power and efficiency, if even just a little bit. I don't do this myself, but it's one way to play with your hardware.

If you are just trying to get the max OC out of your system you should stay away from AOD.

Totally agree.

I don't do this myself, but it's one way to play with your hardware.

Ok, maybe it's play with your hardware, but if you really want play with your hardware, you need OC the 4 cores, the GPU and the RAM. And maybe a little of modding help too.

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
You guys are right in saying the BIOS is the best for OCing, but I think AOD is a valuable tool to test things out without having to reboot and you can check your temps, voltages, and load all in one program.

I'm just trying to give people a different way to use their system. Maybe someone didn't know they could set programs in Windows Task Manager to only use certain cores and maybe they want their most used programs running on only their strongest core(s). If it helps anyone, then I've done my job.

To my defense, I currently do OC my 4 cores using the same clocks (347fsbx11.5), my 4890 is OCed to 1000/1100, and my RAM is set to 1:2 scaling while running 1388mhz with tight timings.

sweet [:lectrocrew:6]

AOD is not that bad, it is usefull in some cases ;) ..... I just prefer the Bios because that is what I am used to....

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hmm results seem kind of weird, but here they are. Before I was able to get a GPU/CPU score of 12k each with the 9.7/9.9 drivers, now that I have the 9.12 drivers my 4890 toxic doesn't OC as high (before I could go 1050/1140, now I can barely go 1000/1100) and gets a worse score.

35mgprb.png

Old results from Nov. 20, 2009, CPU was 200fsbx20 and GPU was at 1050/1125
2irwu9x.png

1051eop.jpg