ASUS P5QL Pro Shutdown Issue

redjr

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Hi,

I'm helping my son build his first rig he got for Christmas based on the ASUS P5QL Pro MB and Intels's dual core E7200 proc. Everything seemed to work okay last night when we watched a Blu-ray movie. But today after moving the puter from my office to his normal desk space in the loft we have been experiencing shutdown problems. The puter will randomly shutdown and refuse to restart - right away. After a few minutes it will start up and run for about 5 minutes and then shutdown again. We are not overclocking anything and are using 4GB of Corsair XMS memory and a fresh install of Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have double checked all internal connections and reseated all boards (there are only 2, a graphics card and a HIS sound card.

Normally I would suspect overheating, but all fans are running at max speed with plenty of ventilation. He is not doing anything that is graphic-intensive when it shuts down - just on the internet. The build also includes and EVGA 9600 GT graphics card.

I have not flashed the BIOS yet with any updates of fear it will shutdown half way through and brick the MB.

Any ideas??

Thx,
redjr...

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hi!

Did you check your temps with CoreTemp or something like that? If your heatsink isnt seated properly than even fastest spinning fan wont help much. I know its quite unlikely but as you were moving the unit to the loft maybe the hsf came a bit loose, faulty mounting pin or maybe it wasnt seated properly to start with. Did you use any thermal paste or anything like that? And I`d leave bios flashing for now. I might be wrong but if it was working last night than i guess bioses dont usually get damaged overnight, especially on their own. What PSU have you got?

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
in my expirance thats probley CPU heatsink not fitted securly or powersupply unit. but since you moved it, it might have sipply came lose (I hate intel for that) the coolers are a pain in the butt to install properly so they don't come out >.>

I persome your on stock, that has push down pins. check them.

happy new year :p (early I know)

redjr

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008

When I opened it up I did check the HSF and it is mounted securely. Yeah, I don't much care for the push and twist pins either. I did not add any additional paste, as it appeared there was plenty on the stock HSF. I should have cleaned it all off and put on some Arctic Silver. All other connections looked good, but as you say the cpu is shutting down due to overheating. We are using a RaidMax 530 watt RX-530SS Modular PSU. I think I'll redo the HSF with better thermal paste tomorrow. This is my son's first real build and he's only 10! He got a cool Sunbeam case with blue fans and a green cold cathode tube up front. You know that alien looking thingy. :)

redjr...

redjr

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008

Yes. We're using the stock cooler, but as I said in the earlier reply I simply used the original thermal paste. Think I'll use Arctic Silver and redo mounting the HSF. The HSF was mounted correctly and not loose.

redjr....

redjr

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah, I considered the PSU too. I have another brand we can try tomorrow. My son wanted to pick out some of the parts before Christmas, and the RaidMax was his choice because it had modular cables. If it turns out to be defected, he'll learn a lesson about cheap. critical components and Newegg will be getting a return.

redjr..

redjr

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
I switched out the RaidMax with a 500w Antec and so far so good. Haven't tested it very long this morning, or under real heavy load yet, but hopefully this will correct the shutdown problem.

redjr...

redjr

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008

Sorry for not following up earlier. Yes, it was the PSU. We installed a new Antec 500w modular PSU today and I RMA'ed the RAIDMAX. Not sure if they'll send another POS or not. I'm sure it won't be a check for $50! But, I dunno. Anyway, the puter's been working great for the past couple of days with no shutdown issues.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

redjr...

Nicole Hamilton

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009

Wow! This was exactly my problem with a new system I just built around a ASUS P6T motherboard and a Core i7. It was the usual, "I didn't do anything and suddenly it's not working" problem. But of course I had done something, I just didn't know what.

I'm in that stage where I've had the machine up and running for a couple weeks but I'm playing with final embellishments. I moved the machine over to a work area so I could measure one of the cables and in carrying it, the whole thing had slipped in my hands. Didn't slip out of my hands, just in my hands, but that was enough.

Suddenly, the system was flaky as all hell and wouldn't even stay powered up for more than a few seconds. WTF? I was suspicious I had a bad PS. It hadn't occurred to me even to check the heatsink 'till I saw your message. Who expects heatsinks to come loose? In 25 years I think this is a first for me. But that was it. It was hanging on by only 2 of the 4 push pins and very loose. Pushing those pins back in, everything was instantly fine.

Thanks!

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I hate intels heatsink mountings, not all are pins some are scew ons. say if I catch the case it could nock the heatsink out. AMD has the best mounting tbh