4870 512mb vs 4870 1gb

dcm1602

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I couldnt find a thread on this (although I assume theres a chance of it being a repeat)

But is it worth it to get the 4870 1g over the 4870 512mb ? I knnow as far the ati cards visiontek is usally highly recomended, but they unfortunately dont make a 4870 1g.

So the cost of going from a 4870 512mb to a 1g is about 50-70$ plus going with a worse brand/warranty.

My question is would I be better off with a sapphire/gigabyte 4870 1g or a visiontek 4870 512mb ?

(I plan on using it for mostly gaming at 1920x1200 reso)

My take is this. It will help in certain games that require higher levels of mem usage. It allows for more eye candy, AA and AF to be used, and also allows for mods for games that add more mem usage. It may be more forwards looking, as some newer games show they can use more than 512 at certain res. It can also add to minimum fps, which really helps, as this prevents slowdowns. Also, if you have an older PCI 1.1 mobo, that more memory can help there as well. Now, its up to you after thinking about which games you play, plan to play and mod whether its worth the extra cash

dcm1602

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Well mostly im just trying to figure out which would be the best card maker for the 4870 1g since I dont know much about any of the ati card makers except visiontek (who doesnt make a 1g model)

Sapphire, Gigabyte, Powercolor, and HI5 are the options

Powercolor has a nice bios for handling the 2D fan speeds. This allows for a cooler at rest temp, tho Ive heard a soon to be released driver will solve this. Sappire is solid, and ATIs biggest partner. Gigabyte is solid as well, just like most of their products. Id say, check for their respective warranties, and which one gives the best. Theyre all good. Price/warranty is the thing youll want. OOps, His is also good, and not sure if theyre using their special cooler or mot. If its an Ice cube cooler, theyre nice, and helps keep everything nice n cool