Sign in with
Your question

HD4850 not working with Vista 64bit, Suggestions?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 30, 2008 8:20:19 AM

Built my computer today. What im running:

Asus M3A79-T Deluxe 790FX mobo

CPU AMD|PH X4 9950 2.6G AM2+ R

MS WIN VISTA HM PREM SP1 64BIT

MEM 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ2RPR1066

VGA SAPPHIRE 100245L HD4850 512M RT

I installed Vista 64 bit. Did a complete windows update. Updated drivers on monitor, and graphics card. I've tried 2 or 3 different drivers for the graphics card. My graphics look like this:

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ingamedp0.jpg

I've tried everything i can think to fix the problem but nothing. Even in windows i can see the blue dots everywhere. System is stable thus far. I havn't had any hard lock ups or blue screen of death. I havn't touched my bios yet cause everything was coming together and i had no troubles until i got into windows and my graphics are all screwed up.

I noticed im only running service pack 1. Do i need service pack 2 or something?

Any suggestions?

More about : hd4850 working vista 64bit suggestions

September 30, 2008 8:50:52 AM

there is no service pack 2 for vista.....
does this happen only with vista 64bit OS. or for there OS too

check ur GPU temp and if ur card is Overclocked, then try underclocking it.
also u dint mention ur PSU. this kind of problem can be associated with bad PSU too.
another reason you might be having these problem is if u got a bad card. my old 7300GS had these kind of artifacts and withihn weeks, it died.
September 30, 2008 8:54:47 AM

PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-750TX 750W RT

I've only got vista 64bit OS. And yes its the only OS ive tried it on. I have a 9400gt card i could swap in and see if it makes a difference?

GPU is running at 40c with just firefox open. I haven't touched an OC capabilities. Everything is running as stock.
Related resources
September 30, 2008 9:01:42 AM

yes.....u could try out the 9400GT with the same driver.i could determine if the problem is in software or not.
also does the grafix look weird only in warhammer or for other games too.

EDIT: make sure ur PCI-e power cable is strongly attached to the card.
September 30, 2008 9:03:49 AM

Graphics look disturbed just booting up. Lines vertically up and down. On the desktop i have those blue dots all over the place. My mouse cursor has two lines like this | | to the right of the mouse cursor.

Ill try swapping over the graphics card and see if that makes any difference.
September 30, 2008 9:15:55 AM

if these line presents itself from the moment u boot, then i believe you should get ur card changed.
but do try out the 9400GT. and also if possible try using a different PSU.
September 30, 2008 9:19:15 AM

I put the VGA 9400gt in and its 10x better. No blue dots everywhere or anything. So the HD4850 is a bad card or am i just not getting the right driver updates?
a c 176 U Graphics card
September 30, 2008 9:36:01 AM

Most likely a bad card. RMA it.
a c 116 U Graphics card
September 30, 2008 11:23:20 AM

RMA time, the card is defective.
September 30, 2008 11:39:02 AM

RMA that badboy!
September 30, 2008 4:04:18 PM

I hate when GPUs influenced by the impressionist movement gets a RMA.

They were never fully understood. They just have a different view of....stuff.
September 30, 2008 4:23:38 PM

Don't feel bad, I had the same problem with EQ2, Vista 32 and an HIS 4850. I tried multiple rebuilds, all available drives and all the tricks I could fine. I even got non-fixing answers back from ATI support. All testing worked fine. Several minutes into the game I'd get the same artistic rendering that you got.

The final solution was to replace the card with a 9800GT. Everything worked fine from then on out.
September 30, 2008 4:33:22 PM

I just installed a 4850 on my VISTA 64 system last week and I assure you it works fine. I'm guessing a bad card.

BTW that image looks like what was happening with my 7900GT the 4850 replaced. The 7900GT would play any game for a few minutes and then start acting up, display varying degrees of those diagonal lines.

-dave
October 1, 2008 12:38:39 AM

For those who are wondering, bad GPU is the verdict. Tried the HD4850 in two different set ups with 1 OS being XP and 1 being Vista 32 bit. Gonna RMA it and wait 2 years to get it back =(

Thanks for all the help - Sinnex
October 1, 2008 11:47:00 AM

You know what OP, just trade up to a 4870x2. Call it a day, and in the morning, it'll make you breakfast (its damn well hot enough to)!
October 21, 2008 12:24:39 AM

Sinnex said:
Built my computer today. What im running:

Asus M3A79-T Deluxe 790FX mobo

CPU AMD|PH X4 9950 2.6G AM2+ R

MS WIN VISTA HM PREM SP1 64BIT

MEM 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ2RPR1066

VGA SAPPHIRE 100245L HD4850 512M RT

I installed Vista 64 bit. Did a complete windows update. Updated drivers on monitor, and graphics card. I've tried 2 or 3 different drivers for the graphics card. My graphics look like this:

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ingamedp0.jpg

I've tried everything i can think to fix the problem but nothing. Even in windows i can see the blue dots everywhere. System is stable thus far. I havn't had any hard lock ups or blue screen of death. I havn't touched my bios yet cause everything was coming together and i had no troubles until i got into windows and my graphics are all screwed up.

I noticed im only running service pack 1. Do i need service pack 2 or something?

Any suggestions?

Sinnex this is not addressed to you. This is to all those gurus who seem to keep repeating the same things to check!!

Who else is tired of the same stupid questions to a very common problem?

I also have the 4850 with vista64 and the card crashes with 64bit drivers specifically hd4850 drivers.
I noticed the drivers that come with the card are hd4800 drivers not hd4850. The ati website lists hd4850 drivers but they don't work with vista or work partially. I have the same screen shot that you have.

I am SICK of the incompatibility of hardware problems. The problem IS NOT the psu,the cpu,the ram,overclocking,motherboard chipset drivers,and its not a bad card. So RMA'ing that "bad boy" will only cost you time and anxiety.

I have had this card from Best buy for 3 weeks and took it back and got another from Circuit city just 2 days ago just to test for myself. And WOW the same exact driver problems!!!!!!!!

I have a new system that I built with all new parts. I am not going to list all the components as I did not have these problems until after installing the hd4850 card.........

So please don't offer a fix unless you have a fix. don't say anything about psu,cpu,chipset,ram,fan,oc,overheat,bios,etc...... these are not the problem.

And the only driver that works 70% of the time is the one that came with the card. HD4800 drivers .

So I mostlikely will take this card back and get an nvidia card. WAHHHHHHHH
a c 116 U Graphics card
October 21, 2008 2:15:50 AM

Well with a 4870, that uses the same drivers as the 4850 works great under vista 64. Its a shame my 8800GTX never did(may well be fixed now).
October 25, 2008 4:57:01 PM

I've been experiencing similar problems. The card works and I can use it but I can't install the drivers - the driver installation program crashes when I try and run it. I'm trying to install this on Server 2008 x64.
October 25, 2008 6:15:42 PM

jpl572103 said:
Sinnex this is not addressed to you. This is to all those gurus who seem to keep repeating the same things to check!!

Who else is tired of the same stupid questions to a very common problem?

I also have the 4850 with vista64 and the card crashes with 64bit drivers specifically hd4850 drivers.
I noticed the drivers that come with the card are hd4800 drivers not hd4850. The ati website lists hd4850 drivers but they don't work with vista or work partially. I have the same screen shot that you have.

I am SICK of the incompatibility of hardware problems. The problem IS NOT the psu,the cpu,the ram,overclocking,motherboard chipset drivers,and its not a bad card. So RMA'ing that "bad boy" will only cost you time and anxiety.

I have had this card from Best buy for 3 weeks and took it back and got another from Circuit city just 2 days ago just to test for myself. And WOW the same exact driver problems!!!!!!!!

I have a new system that I built with all new parts. I am not going to list all the components as I did not have these problems until after installing the hd4850 card.........

So please don't offer a fix unless you have a fix. don't say anything about psu,cpu,chipset,ram,fan,oc,overheat,bios,etc...... these are not the problem.

And the only driver that works 70% of the time is the one that came with the card. HD4800 drivers .

So I mostlikely will take this card back and get an nvidia card. WAHHHHHHHH

Although I cant help to tell you what to do. I can tell you that my 4850 works just fine with Vista 64bit. No issues at all. Nothing special either, I updated drivers from ATI website.
October 26, 2008 9:57:14 PM

Hey, I am not sure where the problem was with the hd4850 but I did try one from best buy and circuit. But the problem has now corrected itself. I installed an 8800gt.
October 27, 2008 10:13:53 AM

The other issue I can think of is that you may not have fully disabled the nvidia drivers. When I think about it, I had a slight issue with my 4870x2 when I first installed it. I didn't think about this until just now (thus I am posting). I uninstalled my Nvidia drivers, then shut off my PC, installed the new card, turned on the computer, installed ATi drivers, restarted and went on my way to play some games. I did notice games were crashing and that was odd. I went into windows boot setup and found that the Nvidia uninstaller left a few crapplets behind that start-up with windows. After I disabled them, I have had flawless gaming since.

Maybe this is to little to late for you, but others might find this helpful.

I forgot about this because this took less than 5 minutes of my life to figure out.
!