Coolant gel in CPU socket, bad?

halfpipehippie

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
thread title says it all, im trying to fix my friends NOT working new PC and it looks like coolant gel for the CPU may have gotten inside the CPU socket, is this bad?

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well, if its in the socket then the motherboard is pretty much finished, as youre never going to be able to get it out, at least without completely destroying the socket. The CPU should be fine though. All the paste would do would block/disrupt communication to the board more than likely. But it also depends on what type of paste it is, it could or could not be conductive, aka fry ****.

halfpipehippie

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
well i tried to clean the pins off witha q tip(no pins are bent etc.) and i dont see any paste on them. and so if i make sure theres no paste on the CPU then only a mobo will need replacing?

I guess i dont understand how it can be ok on the CPU but not the mobo socket if in the end they touch eachother anyways lol.

slickjr169

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Get a very soft toothbrush and 90% isopropyl alcohol and gently brush in the direction of the pins. Other method is to dunk the board in 90% isopropyl alcohol and let the paste dissolve and then let the board dry. Other than that the board is fragged.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
yeah AS 5 would probably short circuit it instantly... if it was ocz freeze (i think?) or something non conductive it should be k though :D