xxvinsanityxx

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
Hey guys
Recently I tried to install 2 gigs of Kingston ddr2 memory
I unplugged the power cord, and followed all the steps provided.
I took out my Rendition 1Gb DDR2 533mhz stick and put in the Kingston
After the ram was in, i plugged the power back and turned the computer on.
The problem is my computer makes a series of beeping noises and refuses to start up!!
I read on at the troubleshooting that when beeping occurs, it could be my BIOS not recognizing the ram, and a solution would be to update my BIOS.
The update went nicely. So i tried again but the same problem still occurs!! The black screen and the beeps.
Then i tried changing the BIOS memory speed from 533mhz to 667mhz (533mhz being my previous RAM)
but to my worst of luck, now my original stick of ram wont work either.

Motherboard: Intel D945GTP
Processor: Pentium D (3.4ghz dual)
RAM: Kingston 1Gb DDR2 667mhz [x2]
Hard drive: Western Digital 300Gb SATA II

I tried searching up my beep code and i found on Intel that 3 beeps meant:
>>> No Memory
* Reset the memory.
* Make sure that the contacts on the memory and the socket are clean.
* Try removing one bank of memory modules at a time. Note: Some systems might need to have a memory module in Bank 0.
* Try using memory modules from the same manufacturer with the same part number and speed.
* Check for a faulty memory module by trying the memory in a known good system.
* Trying known good memory in the system.
* Check the power supply and check for power fluctuations.
* If the steps above do not resolve the problem, the desktop board may be defective. Try a different desktop board.

Is there anything i can do if my BIOS doesnt recognize my ram and i can't get to the the BIOS because my computer only beeps when its turned on?

xxvinsanityxx

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
thx
I went through the manual and began to mess around with the reset pins
I managed to get into the system BIOS and change the settings back to the way they were before.
My original memory works again, however whenever i try to put in the kingston it begins beeping again.
I dont get why they don't work.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
You might try putting one stick in, get up and running. Do a couple tests (ie... run a game or something for 10 or 15 minutes) then add the second. I had the same problem once before and this worked for me. Hope it's the same for you.
UF

xxvinsanityxx

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
Do you mean put in the ram while the game is running? Because once i put the ram in and start up the computer; it doesnt get past the black screen, beeping, and BIOS. Leaving me a manual shutdown as an only option.

He certainly didn't suggest to insert RAM while the system is running as that could damage the motherboard and/or the memory modules. What you could try is to insert a single module to see if the system boots. If not, then try the other module to see if it works. You might have a defective memory module.