When clicking start and run and typing 'cmd' i get error 'The NTVDM has
encountered and illegal instruction.' It then gives options to close or
ignore. What do I need to do to correct this?

Helps if you indicate operating system.

Try this Microsoft article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;156687

Another article for winNT
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245184
--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"beerwolf" <beerwolf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When clicking start and run and typing 'cmd' i get error 'The NTVDM has
> encountered and illegal instruction.' It then gives options to close or
> ignore. What do I need to do to correct this?

Hi,

Close all running programs. Locate ntvdm.exe in the \Windows\System32 folder
and delete it (it's probably corrupt). Reboot the system. See if the problem
goes away, as the file will be replaced by one from the system cache (System
File Protection at work).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/