Sign in with
Your question

How to make single wd hard drive partition larger

Last response: in Storage
February 7, 2010 2:08:59 AM

Hello, I just cloned a 40GB Maxtor onto a 500 GB Western Digital.
It works fine... Except I only have one 40GB partition that is full. It runs just as slow as before.
I have 440GB unallocated space. I don't need another partition because I of the 320GB ext. HD I have.
How can I increase the size of the C: partition?
I have Acronis True Image program and have not found a way to do this.

Help?
February 7, 2010 2:17:14 AM

Thanks for fast reply Jack... I am working with XP as an OS.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2010 2:25:30 AM

Quote:
I think this resize partition tutorial can help you.

Hi Billy...
I thank you for your response. $400 for the program that is suggested here is far out of my range. Besides I am hoping I have in my piles of CDs an answer that may be suggested.

Acronis claims it can do this but I have not figured out how yet. I also have an old Partition Magic program that I have not tried yet.

jcm
m
l
February 7, 2010 1:12:05 PM

jcm3 said:
Hi Billy...
I thank you for your response. $400 for the program that is suggested here is far out of my range. Besides I am hoping I have in my piles of CDs an answer that may be suggested.

Acronis claims it can do this but I have not figured out how yet. I also have an old Partition Magic program that I have not tried yet.

jcm

In WinXP I use Partition Magic, if you have an older copy, you may already have exactly what you need.

Acronis could have cloned in its automatic mode to have already taken advantage of the full use of the 500G HDD, you could just re-clone the 40G to the 500G using the expander feature, but you'd have to LLF the 500G first to get Acronis to recognize it as a blank HDD.

I use both Acronis and Partition Magic on a regular basis.
m
l
February 7, 2010 2:04:11 PM

Quote:
I think this resize partition tutorial can help you.

Billy... I looked again at the link info. you guided me to. I was able to download a free Easus (sp?) and it worked very easily! Thank you. I apologize for my quick response earlier. I did not READ but just scanned.
The issue has been resolved. Hurrah!
jc
m
l
February 7, 2010 2:05:54 PM

m
l
a c 342 G Storage
February 8, 2010 1:46:41 PM

For those in a similar situation, this was a good solution. But theree MAY be another, depending on your details.

OP used Acronis True Image to clone an older HDD to a much larger one, and was dismayed to find that the new drive Partition was the same small size as the original, with all the rest of the new HDD as Unallocated Space. What he / she did not realize is that Acronis CAN do this job for you when you FIRST configure it to make your clone copy, but it is not prepared to change your Partition after it has been created. The trick is to pay special attention to the options offered as you first set up your cloning operation. By default it will offer to make the clone the same size as the original. This is NOT usually the best choice. Most people want to manually change that to some larger size, often to the fill capacity of the new HDD. Also watch out if your original disk had two or mpore Partitions on it - in that case the default offered is Proportional sizes, rather thatn custom manually-set sizes.

So a solution for OP could have been - re-do the cloning right away, only this time make your size adjustment in the cloning setup options.
m
l
February 8, 2010 3:46:00 PM

More than likely a defrag is in order too then. If your definition of full is the same as my friend's "I have 2 MB left"
m
l
!