Help about unlocking and underclocking

Hi, first post :na:
As you can see I'm very new in this, buy I'm making my first computer with this:
k9n6pgm2-v
Samsung 5400 DDRII 2Gb RAM
ATI x1300 gpu (256Mb)
450W power supply
An 80 mm case fan
Two 7200 PRM 80 Gb hard disks
And I have some questions, hoping you can help me if God Willing:

I have some choices:

Athlon II X3 425 (95W)
Athlon II X3 435 (95W)
Athlon 64 X2 5400+

I need to know if the first 2 CPUs are compatible with the motherboard using the AM2+ socket.
Also, I want to unlock the 4° core if possible.

My questons:
1. The one I said before, (if the athlon 2 X3 95W are compatible)
2. With the last BIOS, can this motherboard unlock cores?
3. Note that I want to underclock the 4° core if its possible to underclock only 1 at 2,0 GHz - 2,5 GHz.
4. If it's possible to unlock the fourth core and underclock it, at what voltage and multiplier?
5. If I underclock the 4° core, or all the cores, will the fan that comes with it should work?

Many thanks. Sorry if this is confusing or very... noob, but I'm new in this, my native language isn't English and I'm 14 years old. :p
11 answers Last reply
More about help unlocking underclocking
  1. Athlon II doesn't unlock cores, Phenom II does...
  2. Benjie said:
    Athlon II doesn't unlock cores, Phenom II does...

It is proved that Athlons II are Phenoms II with some or all the l3 cache locked, and can unlock the cores, but anyway, unlocking the fourth core isn't crucial for now, I only want to know if the athlon II X3 435 and 425 are compatible with the board.
  3. zoteman94 said:
    It is proved that Athlons II are Phenoms II with some or all the l3 cache locked, and can unlock the cores, but anyway, unlocking the fourth core isn't crucial for now, I only want to know if the athlon II X3 435 and 425 are compatible with the board.

Actually Athlon II uses a native die that is cheaper to produce and doesn't even contain any L3 cache, however when they were first released AMD disabled the L3 cache on a number of Phenom II processors so it was a hit or miss on whether your chip even has L3 to unlock.

I'm not going to search for a cpu support list for that board right now, but I can tell you right now it cannot unlock any cores. You need to use ACC(Advanced Clock Calibration) to unlock hidden cores on AMD processors. ACC is only found on the SB750 or SB710 which are only on certain AMD/ATI motherboards.
  4. I cannot answer all your questions, but:
    1) The MSI site says this :
    AM3 CPU Ready | Y (Support up to 65W only)
    (http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1472)
    so it seems that the MB can't handle the Athlon II x3 you listed, since they require more power.

Try another motherboard.
  5. Thank you. The reason I was asking for that is because I saw a new bios that has ACC. But that's secondary, I think it can work well for me with 3 cores.
    I was asking in compatibility because the cpu its also socket AM2+, in it, the mainboard supports up to 95W, so I wonder if it can be supported.
    Thanks again, and sorry for bothering.
  6. I find it interesting that there are 95w Phenom IIs in that list, and it is a 95w board, yet doesn't list support for the non-E version Athlon IIs. If it was my board, I would probably try the 435x3 anyway, but would have to be prepared to take a loss on the chip if it didn't work (and couldn't trade it back in, thus the loss selling it used).

The unlockable Athlon IIs are the single cores, that can be unlocked to dual cores. Not since launch, when some of the supply chain was filled with L3-disabled Phenom IIs, has their been any chance of unlocking Athlon IIs to be Phenom IIs.
  7. I have just built a system with Athlon II x2 240, which is AM3, with a AM2+ board (this one: ASRock K10N78; if you look it up, you'll see it supports up to 140W Phenom CPUs, so it should support your choices of Athlon II x3 as well).
    AM3 CPUs are compatible with AM2+ motherboards, just I'm not sure with that motherboard you mentioned.
    By the way, I got to 3.6 GHz with no voltage increase with this board and CPU.
  8. I just got another CPU (Athlon II X2 245 BE) so, I don't need to know if its compatible anymore, but if someone tested it, please reply.
    I will say that it supports Phenoms II X4 3GHz socket AM3 of 95W.
    And the Athlon II X3 435 is: 2.9GHZ socket AM3 of 95W.
    So I think its supported.
  9. If you want any chance unlocking you will need a 550 or 720, other CPU's can be unlocked as well but the unlock rate is much lower.....
  10. I have the same motherboard, on the box it says am3 ready

i'm using the amd athlox II X3 425 95watts

and the are no problem's the games go good and the performance is good

i recommend it.

but care to see on the box :pt1cable:
  11. the K9N6PGM2-V only has a Front Side Bus of 1000mhz. That will limit what an AM2+ or AM3 CPU can do on it. I would look for something with a 2600Mhz FSB I do not know for certain, but I believe that this motherboard is incorrectly advertised as AM2+ because it has less than a 2400 or 2600 FSB.
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Overclocking