Basic or Dynamic disk - which should be used?

Darth Windu

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Okay, sorry to say but I'm baffled.

Dynamic disks, as far as I'm aware, are supposed to better, but they can only be used with certain types of Windows products. I've also just had a brand new drive fail on me, and apparently one fix is to turn it into a basic drive.

The disk I'm using is a 1.5TB WD15EARS, it is a non-system drive ONLY used for installing games on.

If anyone could give me some pointers here I'd really appreciate it.

I'm also running Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Running a basic disk should be fine for most people. Its all I run.

Dynamic allows some advanced features. its pretty much a way to run raid from the windows OS. It has a feature like JBOD(Just a Bunch Of Disks) Allowing the user to use multiple drives as one(Spanning a partition over many disk to give one large volume).

I see no reason why one type or the other would fix a drive failure.

Have you tried WDC Lifeguard tools for windows? It can fix some drive issues as well as diagnose problems. Just NEVER wrote ZEROs the drive. THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=608&sid=3&lang=en

Darth Windu

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Yeah I downloaded the WDC Lifeguard tool, but it doesn't seem to be recognising either disk. Now the computer has decided the 1.5TB is my primary disk for some strange reason, which I suspect is causing some of the problems.

Go to Start and search for "diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes. This will bring up disk management. See if anything looks strange. This is also where you manage partitions.

Take care when playing in there as some options can erase a disk, but it should warn you.

If you can post a screen capture it may help as well.