Cheap, Decent AGP Card?

LynkDead

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
So, I've read this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/169937-33-short-list-gaming-videocards-money, and can't seem to find this Radeon 3850 AGP for $80 that they're talking about, every one I see is for at least $120.

Let's see if someone can recommend me something else.

To start off, here's my specs:

AMD AthlonXP 3000+
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Enermax 450w PSU
1GB PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB version)

This system has served me faithfully for over 5 years, and the Radeon was able to handle everything I threw at it (unless there was some unsupported tech), albeit at low resolutions.

My Radeon has finally died on me. Initially it was only 3D graphics that showed extreme artifacting, but now it's spread to everything that's displayed.

I need a replacement. Something that can play todays games at even low resolutions will be fine. I'm looking to upgrade my whole setup soon, so I don't want to blow the bank on this upgrade. However, I would be willing to buy some other parts if it would help overall.

Kari

Splendid
just get the cheapest agp card you can find and save your money for a new build, your whole rig is aged and you won't be able to use the agp card in the new rig anyways.

LynkDead

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
just get the cheapest agp card you can find and save your money for a new build, your whole rig is aged and you won't be able to use the agp card in the new rig anyways.

That's the thing though, I DID go out and buy a cheap card (guess I should have said that). I got a Radeon X1050, which now has the same artifacting problems (though not as bad) that the 9800 Pro had. Plus, from reading reviews after the fact (smart, right?) I've determined that the X1050 is one step above integrated graphics. I don't want to make the same mistake again, so getting something decent would be nice.

Go on ebay, and see if you can't get a 6800GT or X850 for cheap. The 3850 AGP is around $130 even though the PCI-E version is around $90. The reason for this is because it's the most powerful AGP card there is, but your system probably wouldn't see much benefit for it over an 1950 Pro AGP.