Pc wont boot stuck on POST scan

mnimmo1986

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
what happened was i scheduled a boot time scan in avast home free edition and restarted the computer but when the computer started again it boots up and stick on the POST scan it is stuck on the memory scan i.e. 524009k, but the k is sort of half there as it is frozen i have tried to get into the setup but doesn't go to it it is just frozen from the moment i switch it on.

how can i get it sorted???

grimstar

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Frozen from the moment you switch it on? So it doesn't even get anywhere with the memory scan?

Kind of awkward, and these suggestions are kind of shots in the dark but who knows, maybe they will help... I'd try taking out 1 memory stick, reboot and see if it does the same thing still, if it does take out the other stick and replace it with the other one and see (I know you didn't say you had 2 memory sticks, but it was an assumption I made). If neither of those does anything I would say take out the cmos battery to reset the bios because you are saying you can't get that far when your computer is actually started up.

mnimmo1986

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
wow thanks for quick reply. cant do the ram stick swap its only got 1 stick,

no the memory scan just sits on the 500k mark and like i say the k after the number is half there.

resetting the bios will that cancel the boot time scan from avast because i think that is what caused it?

Thanks

grimstar

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I'm not really sure how the boot time thing works but I don't think it would cancel it.

Either way I'd still say pop your ram out and try reseating it. If that doesn't work, perhaps you could try moving the ram to a different slot.

It's difficult to give suggestions because you can't really do anything. I just figured because it was freezing on a memory scan that doing something like reseating it might not be a bad place to start, and the cmos battery was just a suggestion due to you not being able to make it into the bios.

If either of these things fixes it I still won't have a logical explanation as to why, but sometimes that's just how computers are :)