Sign in with
Your question

Need a S775 MB with larger number of PCI-e x1 and SATA ports

Last response: in Motherboards
December 28, 2008 11:42:48 PM

I am looking for S775 MB which will eventually be used for my large Media Server. I will be using PCI-e x1 port to hook up Hard Drive controllers. Therefore, I am looking for MB with good number of SATA ports and PCI-e x1 ports. Plan is to eventually support 22 SATA ports. 6 or 8 SATA from MB + 16 or 14 from PCI-e controller. Something like FOUR PCI-e hard drive controller supporting 4 HDs each. Would like to keep the price under $150.
December 30, 2008 2:48:49 AM

Media servers are not most time run on a 775 platfourm that run 22 sata's the overhead is huge and power is going to be a issue I feel.
Most of my media servers are either 6-Core Intel® Xeon and run Number of needed harware.
Disk Channels: 24
Hot Swap Disk Tray: 3.5" hot-swappable tray
Hot Swap Fan: 4 x Turbo Fan
Hot Swap Power supplies: 350 W, Redundant 2+1
AC Input Voltage: 100 to 240V (+/- 10%), 47 to 63 Hz

RAID Levels: JBOD, 0, 1, 3, 5, 6, 10, 30, 50, 60, NRAID
Disk Groups: Max. 32
Logical Disk: 1024
Data Rebuild: Automatic Data Regeneration
Most boards that use pcie are going to run both slots the same I.E. 8 or 16 bit and might be a issue if you are using a pcie card also it will need to match the bit rate of your slot.
If storage is all you need and it need to be speed than a raid server is what you need to look into.
24 bay chassis, featuring hot-swappable power supplies and fans is almost a must. I would do your edit on one system and serve from another.
Build a fast meda computer and a fast media server for the other. With that many drives the power and heat is going to be a huge issue. beter to put it in its own server only to serve you media. Edit on a workstation.
In a media server you need memory and disk space first cpu power second. But mulit core and multi cpu is a must to distribute the work load. you will also need a very good connection to the internet if you are going to serve the media to clients. A work station could run many thousands and a budget of 150usd is very small for high end media.
You might also think about doing a cluster of small cheap servers and working in some load balancing These machines are incredibly stable both in terms of hardware and software once they have been debugged (usually some in a new batch of machines have crapped out hardware problems), running constantly under very heavy loads. One common example is given below. Reboots have generally occurred when a circuit breaker is tripped.

1:15pm up 471 days, 1:04, 242 users, load average: 4.15%, 7.85%, 7.13% root shutdown> admin

This is a cluster of 6, 6-Core Intel® Xeon® Processor 7400 sequence media servers. There are 6 sata's on each. No other devices on sata and using onboard 32mb ati graphics if needed. Hooked to a linux load balancer and pushed down 6 1000mb cat 6e to a oc3 connectin and to the world through a firewall of some kind like here http://www.untangle.com
or check Toms for firewall
!