New Ram 1066/800 for GA-P35-DS3R ver.1.0?

TheOriginalSamoyed

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
With the help of several members on this site, I built this rig back around 6/07:

Cpu: C2D E6600 2.4
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ver.1.0
Mem: G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ
PSu: Mushkin 580W
VGA: EVGA 8800 GTS 640

Everything was great until both sticks of memory died last week. From what I understand, the Micron D9 chips have an inherently short lifespan. I did not overclock. Regardless, I need to purchase some new sticks of memory. My Mobo can handle 1066 speeds and I am considering upgrading from 800 to 1066. But, I only want to spend about $100 on 4 Gbs. I have not been keeping up with the memory game since last year so I am way out of practice on the market. I will be getting replacement sticks via an RMA so there is always the possibility of just purchasing two more sticks of the same memory to bring the total up to four gbs. But, from inspecting the Newegg site it looks like memory prices have dropped significantly from last year. The current G.Skill memory I have (on RMA) is pretty much the same price as it was back then. Two more would run me about $100. Should I just purchase a brand new set of mem sticks (either 800 or 1066 sticks to total 4 gbs.) or should I just add two more and cross my fingers that they hold up? Don't get me wrong, I'm cool with them burning up. "Stuff" happens. I just want the best bang for the buck. I guess stability and durability should be factored in as well. Also, is it better to go two 2gbs rather than four 1gbs? Any advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The only serious parameter is that I want to stay within the $100 range for whatever I do. Thanks!

bilbat

Splendid
Arghhh! This thing seems to have recently acquired the skill of truncating pasted links

Here:

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-20-231-166-_-Product