rtech808

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Hi,

Having endless problems lately.... anyway, due to an existing problem with a pc that wouldn't boot, I went out & bought a whole new setup basically. It was believed the problem was originally the power supply, but turned out to be the actual motherboard (i think). anyway....

ok so after buying a new mobo, cpu, power supply, new sata dvd-r (lack of ide on new mobo)..... set everything up as i've done numerous times in before. with the new power supply, i was short a psu cable, so i used one from my old enermax psu... didn't think this would be a problem...

long story short... i powered up, smelled something burning... turns out the psu cable from the enermax was cooking my dvd-r drive .

in addition, my hard drives (on a separate cable) get no juice, they aren't dead as I tested in another machine.

other than that pc boots up fine, get a post & can enter bios...

baffled, lost, confused.... thoughts? I imagine the dvd-r is dead now as well?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
not doubting your word there rtech,,but your statement does not compute,,the power connector has to be the same regardless what psu you take it off of,a sata is a sata and an ata is an ata,, just like standard ata [bergman] connectors are,, otherwise,, we would need different connectors for each system,you should consider benching your system on a non conductive surface,this will ensure that all connectors are correct and that the mobo is functioning within specs...:)