Sign in with
Your question

Usb hard drive recognised but says no disc

Last response: in Storage
February 7, 2010 6:49:50 PM

Plugged a usb drive into my wifes XP. Found new hardware, appears as removable drive E in my computer, but try to open and it says please insert disc. Thought maybe I screwed up installing in the enclosure but I could hear the drive running. Instead of taking it apart I plugged it into my Mac book pro. MBP disc utility tells me its size and format (ms-dos fat 32). Copied a file to it, it worked, opened the file etc., so I think I can assume I don't have a hardware problem. HELP!!!!

P.S. tried a couple of things suggested on the forum like changing drive letter, to no avail.

P.P.S. it's a sata drive in a Sabrent enclosure.

Brian
February 7, 2010 7:10:26 PM

Go to disc management and format it.
m
l
February 7, 2010 8:11:00 PM

daship said:
Go to disc management and format it.

I initially tried that by right clicking on the drive, but of course you can't format a drive that is not there. I tried a few more things, then tried deleting the partition, repartitioning and now it is allowing me to format in ntfs. It's about 15% done right now. I'll let you know if it works when it is done. I thought it might be a format problem but I just couldn't figure out how to format it when it didn't see a disc in the drive. Thanks for now, I'll let you know.
m
l
Related resources
a c 342 G Storage
February 8, 2010 5:32:36 PM

The trick is that you cannot Partition a drive in My Computer or Device Manager. You must use Disk Management as daship said. I posted a review of the procedure here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I'm guessing OP has done this by now and will be able to report success.
m
l
February 8, 2010 9:47:30 PM

Paperdoc said:
The trick is that you cannot Partition a drive in My Computer or Device Manager. You must use Disk Management as daship said. I posted a review of the procedure here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I'm guessing OP has done this by now and will be able to report success.

Was Successful thanks to both of you.
m
l
!