OC'ing 955 BE & Power Consumption.

Zark Strife

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Hello All, I am brand new to the TH forums. Been a long time reader. To the point at hand.
I am getting a 955 BE paired with an ASUS ASUS M4A79XTD and Cooler Master V8 HSF & Ripjaws DDR3 1600 memory.
I haven't built a PC in a few years, (a lot has changed since the Athlon XP days).

1. My OC goal is just a measly 3.5/3.7 stable. Do I even have to mess with the stock Freq, Timings and/or voltage on my memory to get to 3.5 with the 955? I figure that 1600 memory is way faster than the 955 bus controller can feed anyway (1333). Should I fiddle with the NB freq? I want this system to be bottleneck free (if such a thing exist).

2. I am very conscience of the power usage of this CPU, would OC'ing disable Cool n' Quiet? After reading last weeks article on Cool n Quiet, would lowering the voltage a smidge be possible and still achieve 3.5

3. Best method for OC'ing. I.E. Increase bus and or multiplier. Leaving the Vcore @ stock would be great. Power Efficiency is good.

Thanks in advance to the best forum community around. IMHO

Just raise the multiplier if you want 3.5/3.6Ghz. Anything over that normally requires a voltage increase. As far as the RAM goes, just make sure you set the correct timings and voltage. Cool n quite is useless unless you leave your PC on 24/7.... If you are inclined to overclock that CPU then forget about CNQ....