Your question

Help Me Pick a New Motherboard

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2008 2:38:25 AM

Hello,

My motherboard's bios is screwed (a flash gone bad) and I can't wait for a new bios chip to repair my motherboard (if it even will) and my local choices for a new one are limited.

So what I was running...
Asus PK5-Deluxe - Dead
4GB DDR2-800 (4x1GB)
Q6600 OC'd to 3.0GHz
ATi 4850 500MB GPU
4 SATA Hard Drives - 2 in a Raid 1 array
Vista x64
and not that is should matter but a 650watt (Quality brand that I can't remember).

My choice of boards are:
ASUS P5Q-E for $150.00
MSI P45 NEO2-FR for $125.00

So what do you think?

Thanks for the help!

More about : pick motherboard

December 29, 2008 9:37:36 AM

I'd probably go for the Asus board. 1 - because they have a better name in MoBo's, 2 - because I know they are good boards (stable and OC well)

Altho, you dont get PCIe x 4 but does that really matter? The asus board supports a higher memory standard, the MSI needs and overclock!
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2008 1:18:28 PM

Definately go for Asus. I have heard some very bad things about MSI mobo's. Would not get one.

PS. Doesn't Asus have a function on its boards called Crashfree BIOS? With it you can restore the BIOS if you messed it up, using the mobo support cd/dvd.
Related resources
December 29, 2008 1:45:21 PM

> Doesn't Asus have a function on its boards called Crashfree BIOS?

Yes, and it has worked as advertised for us, but we generally stay with stock settings and avoid overclocks for the sake of the highest possible stability.

Also RTFM: The manual for the P5Q Premium says ExpressGate does not work if you enable RAID on the main SATA connectors.

The ASUS P45 chipsets support 16GB of DDR2. G.Skill have a 16GB "kit" (4 DIMMs @ 4GB).

A good stock "sweet spot" is DDR2-800 (400 MHz "DRAM Frequency" per CPU-Z) and 1600 MHz FSB (400 MHz "Bus Speed" per CPU-Z) for a 1 : 1 FSB : DRAM ratio.

Good luck!

MRFS
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2008 2:05:25 PM

Avoid MSI like the plague, ASUS, and Gigabyte are very good brands. BTW Gigabyte frequently has dual BIOS, you can always roll it back if you have problems. (I have done this myself)
December 30, 2008 11:46:49 PM

^1 vow for that one too I had a k9..... what a mistake >.> replaced with asus.
this was AM2 btw not LGA775 but ethoir way i will never go back with MSI

ASUS,Gigabyte. yes defo what about DFI ? they are good so I hear

!