P5QL PRO general overclocking questions

sunnyimran

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Q.1) If a system performs quite well and stable after overclocked, Why manufacturers not send overclocked already ? Intel seems not much liking overclocking on its system ( does'nt provide free hand on their boards), so do all branded systems.

Q.2) when a board which provides much flexibility in tweaking freqs / volts individually for various components, will it withstand / stable with those extra boosting ?

I know it depends on board quality, but still, will boosting not increase chances of failure / unstability in general?

I mean MTF mean time between failure, would not reduce by overclocking?
( fail early and more prone to faults.)

on my mobo, I initially left everything for tweaking set to AUTO as it was by default but after reading that guide:

Keep PCI express : MANUAL at 100MHZ
Keep PCI clock freq: Manual 33.33 MHZ ( I could not find on my BIOS )

they vary proportionally with FSB / other tweaks, while they should be as above.
so keep them fixed initially.

Keep C1E : Disable
Keep speedstep: Disable

and similar ....

and most of the things I still kept AUTO

YEAH i see a noticeable difference in performance,by just doing above.

so I believe 'AUTO' was not selecting right parameteres for at least those things which I changed as above.

Q.3) Is it possible that other parameters like FSB, CPU freq, Vcore ( now still AUTO with me ) might not be on standard factory parameters and would perform better if I keep them on some MANUAL but standard ( no boost ) values ?

Q 4) How can I see what is the current value for a parameter when it is set to AUTO, i-e at AUTO value just shows 'AUTO', not what value is right now. any way to see current value? Better to ask this from ASUS, but who cares there.

Q.5) I did'nt use any utility specially no utlity for hardware fan/temp monitor from ASUS. all bogus. Is there a good free utility which is professional enough,
any good win7 gadget, could show things visually like speedo meters, intel desktop utility is for their boards only.

Q1. Too expensive in terms of time and money. Besides, there's a lot of variance in CPU's. Simpler to go with manufacturer's ratings, reduces costs on motherboards and memory also.

Q2. If you are not tweaking a mass production board, you can save a lot of money. Production Management 101 - wholesale cost out the factory door needs to be about a quarter of full retail price for everyone to make money. When you see those "unbelievable" academic discounts for Apple and everyone else, they are not losing money.

And AUTO settings simplify setup.

Q3. Of course. Look at all the people able to undervolt CPU's and still run at stock speeds.

Q4. Sometimes, you can toggle the setting to MANUAL and not change anything to see what it is set at.

Q5. Sure. CoreTemp, CPU-Z, GPU-Z, HWMonitor, many others. Gadgets like speedometers are useless frills for hardware monitoring.

sunnyimran

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
well that makes things a bit clear, more is always welcomed.

My understanding is that overcloced system has more chance of failure/errors/faults as compared to factory standards for which manufacturers (like intel) can warrant their products.

It is something like buying a V8 engine, tweaking it , boosting it, yeah it would be more warmer now with perhaps less mileage than warrantied ( sacrify at the cost of boosted performance) and get a solution for heat too / air flow... and leave your friends ( on factory specs) behind in the race with same platform show your friends that same V8 engine runs more faster after your expert tweaks

Q.4 --> I will try this tip, thanks.

Q.5 ---> I explored a bit CPU-Z & HWMonitor, but I do'nt see a 'visual' type outputs, I mean outputs are all numerics, not like bars/needles ....

did'nt knew speedometer is also a gadget, I meant needle/dials visual outputs

any comments about 'samurize'

"My understanding is that overcloced system has more chance of failure/errors/faults as compared to factory standards for which manufacturers (like intel) can warrant their products."

Not necessarily. Good motherboard, good RAM, good cooling, and operating the CPU within recommended voltage and thermal limits will not significantly reduce the operating life. The computer is more likely to become obsolete before it fails for overclocking.

sunnyimran

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
'The computer is more likely to become obsolete before it fails for overclocking.'

yeah that's a good point,

We know that PC and accessories deprectiate value and prices fall so rapidly, that,

for a consumer to 'GAIN' from its expenditure only way is to 'USE' it at its maximum. In less than a year its market value would'nt be even 50% of it' s actual price.
( we all know it is GOLD when you buy it and JUNK after few years)

In a year or so, for same money one gets far more superior system than He purchased BEST of that time.

I believe, in this industry, 'consumer'( non business user) is the only one who pays a lot and suffers a lot, all other involved in this value chain, from manufacturers, wholeseller, retailers.... outlests, get their share from consumer.

Business users can account their expenditure and depriciation on the shoulders of their customers.

Is'nt it?