Files on Hard Drive not recognized

digitalzephyr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
I just updated my CPU. When I booted up it asked me to Set up windows or restore. I tried to restore but it sat at D:/Windows. I Couldn't fingure out anyway around it so I chose the set up windows options.

I have 2 HDD one with everything on it and the other with nothing. I guess the way it set it up. The HDD was set up as the boot disk and the one with nothing was the system disk. The HDD with everything on it still had the files but windows wouldn't recognize it( nothing in start tab and nothing in add/remove programs). I went through My Computer and clicked the drive (which was set up as D:) the files were in there. So I unhooked the HDD with nothing on it and rebooted, now the drive is listed as system.

Is there a way to fix this? I a bit noobish at this.

digitalzephyr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
I did have to change it back but it didn't help. Thanks, though.

Maybe its because the drive is pathed at D:/? I tried to change it through manage, but it says you can not change the path of a system disk.

PNemesis

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
You see files, but you cannot do anything with them?
If so, click 2 on my computer, go to tools then folder options.
Click on view and uncheck "Use simple file sharing" then apply, then click on apply to all folders, then click OK.
Right click on the drive that you are unable to use files, properties.
Click on Security tab.
Under Security tab Administrators, your username and system must have all "allow" boxes checked. If not do it, and hit apply.
Click Advanced and in new window click on Owner, then click once on your username or Administrator (if there is no username).
Check "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box and hit apply.
When finishes click OK, on every window until you close everything.

digitalzephyr

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
I do have access to them but only through "My Computer". Nothing shows up on the start menu or add/remove programs. Some of these programs are hard to find the .exe file to run them.