Thermalright True - Is it really good ?

siq

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Attention - The title of the topic is wrong. It should be: Thermalright True Lapping - Is it really good ?

Hi Guys,
I've read lots of articles saying to lap the heatsink in order to get better temperatures, but I have already read that in some cases the temperatures got worse after being lapped. I noticed that the base of the True is notably convex. I decided to ask Thermalright, so read the answer I got below.

"Dear Gabriel,

Thanks for your mail and sorry for the late reply.
We make the convex bottom purposely to get a better contact with the CPU surface, please do not lapping the base as the warranty will be void for such conduction. "

I think that's kind of true. I've seen in many reviews that most intel CPUs are concave in the middle.
I want to have your opinions, tests, and all experiences you can share with me. I want to put my True together with my i7 920 D0, but I don't know if I should or shouldn't lap it.

Gabriel Siqueira

PS: Sorry for my bad english. I've been learning it for only 3 years.

siq

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hmm, so I don't know what to do. Many people say that lapping the True is good but, in the other hand, Thermalright says that they make the convex botton purposely.

Yes, they make the bottom convex to match the cpu. For lapping you would have to lap both the heatsink and the cpu so that they are both flat. The problem is that if you do that you void the cpu warranty.