New Phenom Gets New Pricing

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10703/amds_upcoming_phenom_ii_cpus_get_priced/index.html

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/26/phenom-ii-prices-listed

What we know is that the first two models will comprise a Phenom II 920 at 2.8GHz and a 940 Black Edition which comes out of the box at 3.0GHz. An aussie website has revealed that the 940 Black will hit the market at just AU$532 (€264 / US$342) whilst an italian e-tailer listed prices on both models, with the 920 coming in at 251 Euro and the 940 at 299 Euro.

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
TBH these prices seem a little steep. Just looking at the Euro prices doesn't fill me with any anticipation either. If they want to compete they need to be UNDER the GBP£200 price bracket in the UK. I can roll out and buy a Q6600 for under £150, and the 9950BE is slightly cheaper still.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
That sounds about right. If AMD priced them any lower, they wouldn't be making any profit off them.

At $342 ($385 using Euro), the Phenom II 940 is priced competitively against the Q9550 ($319@newegg) and Core i7 920 ($299@newegg).

Now it just needs to show performance numbers that makes it competitive versus those 2 CPUs, as well.

Despite the model numbering the Deneb chips are also competing with Intel Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad chips. We'll just have to wait and see what the real performance numbers will be. While I'd like to get the 3.0GHz around February I may just end up waiting till they fall bellow $200.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

Things are more expensive in Australia. I think it would be better to look the prices of other processors from the same retailer. That same retailer is selling the i7 920 for $545AUD ($363US). http://www.austin.net.au/ProductList/ProductDetail/tabid/104/ProductCode/CPU-INT-I7920/Default.aspx

I would take this as an indication that we can expect the top level Phenom II to be priced at near the same level as the i7 920 and likely slightly lower.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Sounds like good news to me. Says, "These new chips are faster than expected!"

But really, we have to see performance numbers before we can judge their pricing.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
There may be nothing wrong with these prices. I think people just forget how much cpus use to cost before AMD dropped their prices to rock bottom because of piss poor performance. If Phenom II overclocks just like Intel's procs and has close to the same clock for clock perf. then that is a very competitive price. Even more so if it keeps up with the 2.93 GHz i7, that would put it at what? $200 less than it needs to be for competition. However I think it may end up being unlikely to be as fast as i7.. overclocking may become it's only appeal.

Meh thats why they have the naming like Intels Core i7 chips. What will happen is if people don't know they will ask for it and maybe AMD will get a few sales from it.

Hey maybe its decent. I highly doubt it will destroy Core i7 but it might just push Penryn a bit. but then again Intel has had them out long enough they can probably lower the price of Penryn to about Conroe prices and leave Core i7 at their normal prices without feeling that much.

4745454b

Titan
I'd like to point something out. (thought I've only been asleep for 3 hours...) This could very well be an indication that they perform very well. If the rumors are true, we could assume that these chips will also hit 4GHz with overclocking. IF performance per clock has gone up enough, a 4GHz Phenom II might be a very competitive product. We also know that while you can overclock the i7, you have to keep certain voltages low or else you fry your chip. Could it be that rolls will switch again this time? If the IPC is high enough, it might be easier to overclock your Phenom II then your i7. This could be very good news for AMD fanboys and the rest of us who love competition.

As was mentioned, now we just need the performance numbers to back up the prices. Ok, I'm back to bed, starting to hate insomnia...

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
IF these prices are correct this would mean that the new phenom SHOULD be at least equal to the Core2Quads when comparing clock per clock. Otherwise they will not sell. They must be very careful here, because all users with x2 at the moment who want to upgrade and have an AM2+ mb already (like me :p) will have an easy upgrade but ONLY if its worth it.

I dont think $350 for a 3GHz Phenom is going to win me if it performs like Q9550 which is 2.83GHz.

I hope the prices are not right or the performance is really good ;)

we shall see soon

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Motherboards will be more of a blockade than the prices for me. The current picking of 790 boards is a pukefest. If they dont put out some more 790FX's and ones that look good and ARE good, then its the gavel for AMD. Im more easily swayed by the available motherboards than I am the actual CPUs.

I dont know....I just HAVE to have a attractive motherboard, but I hate those ASUS boards that are just one massive chunck of copper that prevents you from installing any decent aftermarket cooler. If its going to be the bed of my system it needs to look good and perform equally as good.

The best motherboard ive ever owned was a MSI p35 Neo2-FR. Im still waiting for something that looks as good as that did and be rock solid as it was.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
^ The same for me. I just can't take anything of the current AM2+ portfolio. Unfortunately, I think only AM3 is going to improve this situation a bit.

BTW, I'm in love with this board:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5003/inteli713nd8.jpg

Not that I would do anything really extreme with it, but it's simply too sexy. I could stand all day long looking at it without a CPU plugged in.

But I also love this one:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/11/21/gigabyte-ga-ep45-ud3r/2

These boards could make me use even a Pentium D. Ok, I lied, but it's almost true. I would choose an i7 or a Core 2 Quad just to use one of these boards, even if the CPUs were outperformed.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Yes, when I first saw that P45 Gigabyte one I was furious that I bought this ASUS P5Q Pro, but to my defense that Gigabyte one wasnt available yet. :D

Im not too fond of that huge overkill 3 piece cooling solution on the high end X58 one, but I do love the lower $300 version with that big flat SB heatsink.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah, I love that one too, since it remembers me so much of the P45-UD3R.

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15908

But the prices here in Brazil are simply sick due to a 60% stupid tax we pay for those imported things. Just for you to have an idea, the GA-P45-UD3R will set me back $282 and, to add insult to injury, the GA-X58-EXTREME $652. Crazy, dude. Way worst than Austin or UK prices.

BTW, I'm talking the prices of one of the best mobo stores around here.

My only hope is that Phenom 2 brings some price wars, or else my wallet will regret my upgrade forever.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Better than ASUS über-fancy $782 Rampage II Extreme. But then I could get me a 790GX board for $260-$280, so, you can see why I expect Phenom 2 not to disappoint...