olof86

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Hi guys. Im new here and im not really sure about your policies.. but I searched through the forum pretty quickly trying to find a similar topic and couldn't find it.

Anyway. I'm not even sure this is the right category.. but somehow I would think it might be. Feel free to move it to something more suitable.

I recently bought myself a new setup and put it together a few days ago. Everything seems to work fine.. or, if you put this little problem aside.
Every now and then the computer (like.. i would say, every fifth-sixth startup) will reboot itself when loggin in to windows (when going from the loading screen of Windows XP to the desktop. OR if u happen to have a password it will happen just after u typed that one in and pressed enter). Now, I have no idea what this is about. I don't know if this is useful information, but I have the Intel X25-M SSD as my systemdisc and right now it's put into channel 1 master. First I had it in the channel 2 with the other storage-drive in channel 1, but changed that once I noticed it. There's a channel 0 too, would it be worth trying that one too or is that just not relevant at all?

What I also should say is that I first installed the XP 64bit, and when that one logged into windows there was a bluescreen right before the reboot. That do not happen in 32bit, it just goes dark and reboots.

Also. It has happen two times (so very rare) that the computer just reboots while being in windows surfing around and doing normal stuff.

So, is here anyone who might know that this is about/could give me some hint or anything?

Really appreciate any help.

Re Olof

G

Could be a hard disk or memory problem. Might be video.

If you have more than on memory module try running it with a single one, trying each in turn to see if the problem appears or disappears.

With video you might try changing slots if poss. Or try another video card.

I would also update the motherboard BIOS.

olof86

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Could be a hard disk or memory problem. Might be video.

If you have more than on memory module try running it with a single one, trying each in turn to see if the problem appears or disappears.

With video you might try changing slots if poss. Or try another video card.

I would also update the motherboard BIOS.

I have now tried running the memory one for one. I've also installed other memory modules and the problem is still there, so I guess the memory is fine.

I've changed slots on the video card, I've also tried with another video card, the problem is still there.

I haven't updated the BIOS yet, but will try that too.

I was experimenting with rebooting in safemode and did it about 10 times, and the problem didnt occur when doing so. I don't know what that means, or how to interpret it, maybe something with the drivers?

I guess I should try and run the SATAdisc as my systemdrive and just disconnect the SSD drive to see if the problem disappears.

Is there anyone who can recommend such a program?

Run memtest86, if you get a failure, make sure ram voltage is set correctly in the bios.
Run memtest86 again.

Will do.

Thanks for replies