How would a 4850 cope with 1900x1080?

ok enough of the BS "best card at x resolution" everyone keeps asking - heres how it works, one game might work at one res where as another game will smash your system at that same res - res is meaningless, its WHAT CARD SUITS YOUR BUDGET, keeping in mine future proofing and a system to back it etc

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

while it is true, that some games are better for a certain brand of card than others...

the resolution really matters, i don't know where you got your idea from. please enlighten me otherwise. resolution is not meaningless. there is a reason why certain cards have been priced at certain levels of performance, not all cards can handle 2000+ resolution and have high details on and run nicely.

by your logic, a 8800GT would be better at running crysis on high. reso, than lets say a 4870x2, even though crysis runs better on nvidia cards. ATI cards run some games at a faster FPS than a Nvidia card and vice versa, but usually those differences are not night and day where that game would "smash" the sytem.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
it makes no sense to go out and buy high end cards like a 4870x2 or a GTX280 SLI when you're running your games at like 1280x960, for a resolution like that, a 4850 would be just fine if you wanted a new generation, you could even get a 8800GTS and be on your way for a good amount of time at the resolution.

so there is a certain range of card that you want at a certain resolution. there are no games out there that an ATI/Nvidia would vastly outperform the other while the other is left behind crippled and not playable given the cards are in the same range of performance.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It will do just fine at that resolution. Expect average playability with everything maxed out.

The reality is this mid-range card is right there with the pack of high-end single gpu's. In almost any game the performance differences between the 4850 and GTX280 aren't all that far off from a playability standpoint. I'm not suggesting that the actual fps are to close to call they're not. What I am saying is differences are marginal at best when you are gaming.

I for one disagree. I brought a GX2 when it first came out, and run it at 1280x1024. Of course, i used to compete online, so maybe thats the reason i need a steady 60 FPS...

Really, im one of those people who refuses to use a setup if it ever dips below 45 FPS (and with my setup, Crysis Very High passes that criteria :D)

my old agp system with a FX5600 can run the original unreal tournament at high resolutions like that, so why cant it run todays games at the same res? BECAUSE IT SUCKS - a 4850 might run todays games at that high res but tomorrows games no way in hell - what i am saying is if you can afford a better card BUY IT - you want a system with guts, not something designed to run "current" and old games.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

That is retarded. The FX 5600 came out in 2003-2004. UT99 (the original UT) came out in 1999. So your hardware is about 4-5 years ahead of the game, which was launched around the time of the GeForce 256. Your claim is retarded. That'd be like saying: "The 4850 sucks. My 8800GTS 320mb can run UT2004 at that high res no problem."

hmmmm so if he gets a 4850, will every game forever run at that high res then? bbbzzzzztttt NO, so you want THE BEST CARD FOR YOUR MONEY/BUDGET AT THE TIME, and not ask such stupid questions like can the card run at this res etc.

Its always good to have the extra power for the latest games etc so if you can afford it, buy it.

rdb

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Children play nice. The answer is yes, I put a 4850 in a system running a Q6600 yesterday. COD4 and Crysis ran good at 1920x1200.