glenn_72

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Hi everyone i was wondering is it possible to use an crossfire mother board and run two 9500gt graphics cards ( nvidia )
Disable the crossfire part and use all four dvi ports and run four seperate screens and be able to control this via xp windows ? This is not for me its for my boss who is a business man who follows the stock market on one screen work on the next and god only nows what else any help wood be greatly appreicated Thank You Glenn.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I believe so, as long as you have PCIEx16 slots available, it will work. It won't work in crossfire obviously, but I believe that all DVI ports should work to all 4 monitors.

Why 9500 GTs on a crossfire board? That seems to be a strange set of choices.

Give us the full specs and I bet someone around here will come up with a even more detailed response.

Yes you can but if you are running Vista you will need to make sure both of the cards you use can run off of the same driver package.
IE you can not use an ATI and a nVidia card together in Vista as it will not allow you to have both drivers active at the same time.

Unfortunately, this also means my old GTS 640 can't be used as a PPU next to my ATI cards :(

If you are still in Xp, you will have no issues.
I used to have a friend that traded with 6 monitors off of 3 video cards from different manufacturers.

glenn_72

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Thank you very much for taking time out with your respnse's.
Reason why I am using crossfire gigabyte EP45-DS3R motherboard, reliability and resonably cheap.
Nvidia SLI motherboard are more expensive and what I been through crossfire is quick and cheaper option.
Using Gigabyte 9500 GT cards due to previous troubles in the recent past with ATI...example:
X800 graphics card pixual lined and as a gamer couldnt support the new games that were coming out.

My experience and personal opinion i prefer the reliability of Nvidia...as they say once bitten twice shy!!!!!!

Regards
Glenn

rdb

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Just ran over to Newegg and took a peep. SLI boards seem to be a little cheaper than crossfire boards. You didnt say what CPU you (HE) is running.

jtabler

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
(I edited everything below)
You need two video cards, as cheap as possible with 2x DVI. Unfortunately, the restriction is that there aren't any reasonably priced PCI cards with two DVI, so you'll need ANY mother board that has two PCI-e slots 16x 1x/16x8x/1x 1x etc, doesn't matter. That's all for gaming.

It doesn't matter whether or not it has crossfire/SLI capabilities cause you won't be using them. There is no "turning them off".