Sign in with
Your question

X48 chipset mobos: DDR3 or DDR2 based, or either?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2008 6:36:02 PM

I'm confused based on these two web pages, one is Intel's chipset comparison chart, the other 3 NewEgg's Asus x48 mobo offerings:

http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=36776,... < Intel states x48 is DDR3 only! But...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Notice the much more popular DDR2 based x48 chipset Asus mobo, due to DDR3 being very expensive memory I'm assuming? DDR3 based not worth the bang for the buck? But how does it square with Intel saying x48 chipsets are DDR3 only? And what's the cost/benefit of ECC memory? But if you go for a DDR2 x48, what's the diff with DDR2 x38 chipset mobo. Read an article when x48 chipset was released that said it wasn't worth the extra bucks over a x38.

I'm assuming tons of 5 star NewEgg ratings give indication to a stable mobo? Does the ICH9R South Bridge contain a controller that will allow RAID modes, simply go into the BIOS, tweak, and presto, you have RAID settings with multiple hard drives, no other hardware or controller needed?

Thanks. This education curve is making my head spin.

December 29, 2008 9:30:37 PM

x48 can be both, but not at the same time, true example the gigabyte D6Q x48 is a DDR3 mobo but the ROG asus ramage formular is only a DDR2, but both have exactly the same chipset

yes the ICH9R should do not sure if 10 is better or the same... the x38 is 1st gen PCIe as far as I can see not sure about this becasue you have a top spec asus X38 maxuise formular to consdier

some companies like gigabyte asus, DFI will do something odd, to there mobos, these companies are all top end or mostly top end, make rock soild, very ocable and very stable mobos

the best companies most ppl find for stablity and ocing in most cases are Gigabyte,asus DFI,MSI and a few others personly I would have my heart set on gigabyte and asus for SLI well EVGA...maybe asus but since Nvidia has a isses with thier chipsets stay away from them, or you could go X58 which is DDR3 and can take both
December 29, 2008 9:50:15 PM

right now x48's just aren't a great value. If are looking for a cheap crossfire solution go with a cheap p45 mobo and take the small x8x8 hit.

If you want to get a mobo to crossfire at full x16x16 then suck it up and go for the x58. The difference cost wise between a x48 and x58 mobo is minimal, and you can get a i7 920 for cheaper then the Q9550. You will end up paying some more for the ddr3 ram compared to the ddr2 ram, but your system will be faster (cause it has the newest tech) and you will have the option to go sli or crossfire if you want to.
Related resources
December 29, 2008 10:02:36 PM

newest tech aye? its acturly old tech suped up and you can get a x48 DDR2 for £150 from gigabtye, maybe even cheaper LOL but for the DDR3 onces yeah forget about unless you happen to have a q9550 laying around lol savy up for X58 more versitile
December 29, 2008 10:14:14 PM

^What?... im not even going to try and figure that one out

Please learn to use spell check and make sure what you are saying makes any sort of sense
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2008 10:39:11 PM

Since the release of the X58 chipset, I think reasons to go for an X48 board are very slim. The i7 CPUs cost about the same but offer better performance and you can get good rated X58 boards for prices close to good rated X48 ones (~25$). You still have to pay lots for DDR3 RAM, but you also get a MB which is more "future-proof" because of the new socket and you also get a board which supports both SLI and XFire.
December 30, 2008 4:18:38 PM

spelling was never my stong point, and it will NEVER be, no matter how much leacturing I have.

deslexic sucks at times. what I meant is if you look at the I7 and looka at all the over CPUs over time inculding AMD once than look back at at the I7 the memory controller.... thats from AMD, okay intel made it clock faster etc and thats not the only "old tech" its a powerfull CPU don't get me wrong but its not evolutionary its only revoluvtionary. difference
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2008 4:51:45 PM

I'm not sure, but I think some old CPUs used to have a memory controller on the chip itself, but the idea was dropped because it made the CPU manufacturing much more complicated. One has to remember that only 15 years ago a CPU had ~1 million transistors and now we have ~200 millions per core so I guess it's relatively simpler now to have the controller on-die :p .
December 30, 2008 8:00:14 PM

*looks at AMD* due to there lack of cachc they need a memory controller well don't need its just best if they did have one xD
!