Radeon 4870 !gb Non-Reference?

Katamarino

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Does anyone know when these might be coming out? I'm trying to decide whether to hold off on my purchase or not (and even if its worth getting over the 512, for my 24 inch screen)

Ok, thats meant to be 1gb, and it wont let me edit the title...

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
yes since you're going to be gaming at resolutions beyond 20". You will benefit a lot more on demanding games like crysis. In fact, the I'm not sure what you mean by non-referenced. Do you mean OCed cards? If you want factory OCed cards it prolly won't come in a while since most of them right now are only starting to roll out with stock setting and prices vary depending on your location. In US it is rather fair ($300 USD) which is the MSRP price but in other places like Canada for example, they jacked up the prices so it's about $350 USD~ $383 CAD and some even in the $400 range. If you hope for prices to drop you will probably have to wait at least sometime in November or even December to see the price drops more significant.

My gut feeling is depends on how often you're going to upgrade your video card. If you do it on every refresh then just get the 512 edition and wait for a new card to come out. If you get the 512 now and hold off till spring you'll get something a lot better (since both companies are fighting to make 40-45nm chips).