Intel attacks EU commision

Not sure if this has been posted before

"European regulators filed fresh anti-trust charges against the world's largest computer chip-maker in July, accusing it of abusing its dominant position in the market to try to squeeze out AMD"

"In reply, Intel asked that the Commission "annul the decisions" on the basis they "contain errors in law" and that the Commission pay the costs the US chip company has incurred to defend itself"

"Intel's move was met with criticism by the head of the Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA).

"We are disappointed that Intel has apparently chosen to attack the law enforcement organization that is investigating it," CCIA president Ed Black said in a statement.

"This is a tactic we have seen before by other companies when they have concluded they cannot effectively argue the merits of their wrongdoing.

"The European Commission's credibility is strong and as the historical record demonstrates it has consistently struck the right balance in antitrust action," he said. "

http://www.eubusiness.com/news-eu/1227740521.17

Not sure what to make of this

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
nothing really. that is just Intel saying they can afford to be in court as long as it takes to win. not shocking, not unprescedented. i kind of expect it from the powerful companies because thats their natural course of action lol

Im guessing, if found guilty, the longer they have from having to pay a few billion, the better

What I really dont understand is, whos ear will they get with this response? Ive heard of appealing, but this is more accusations. Only thing I can say is, CYA in a broader sense

Hes known as the master

I remember when this all started, and the estimates of costs, not inclusive of court costs, were exceding 3 billion by early estimates. Could be that high, or higher if they drag it out further

Keep in mind that the "European regulators" who do all this have very well paid and secure jobs and they want this situation to continue. If Intel is willing to keep the case going for ever, they will be happy to help. Of course, consumers are the ones who pay for the regulators' salaries and benefits and perks (through their income taxes and VAT) and for Intel's lawyers (through higher prices).

One things for sure, having just gone to i7, and it being planned as a slow adapter in production/sales, according to Intel, and having the present economy the way it is, the margins will surely hurt. Depends on IF, how much and when if so.

Higher prices, if Deneb comes thru, is what he was talking about. Makes it all the harder for profit margins, if your competitor has something to offer, and not having all the fines attached.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I say if it took a team of lawyers 5 months to come up with that statement, they might be doing a little straw grasping.

PS: JDJ, what are those little red -1's for. You doing a bit of inappropriate touching ???

I never notice them. The only time I do is when someones been voted down. I think if someone posts something undesirable, or wrong, then post the corrections. If someones right, then yea, give em a thumbs up +.

Point is, if somethings undesirable, getting someone elses POV can be invaluable. Alot better than - vote in my mind. Ive been swayed by others POV many a time, and find a simple - lacking, and not helpful at all

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Ya, maybe thier using Intel's support team.

Part of the reason I signed to this forum was to learn from others. More than 1 POV is always better. Thats why they have debate teams in HS.

People do tend to side one way or another, do to their previous purchases, experience etc, thats normal, but to go beyond favortism, and find that if a judge finds someone or thing guilty, and not to agree, well its like saying, if the gloves dont fit, you have to aquite heheh. Trouble is, sometimes people believe the gloves, and not the larger picture

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Definitely, plp awlays want to believe that thier purchases are the best or they feel they been cheated. But they shouldn't if they did their research, ie... I put this system together (AMD 5400) knowing that it's not to compair to mid-upper Intels. But I don't know Intels, so I went this way hoping the next showing for AMD would make up some ground.

HAVA NICE TURKEY DAY

check back later

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

heck i have no idea who or where it would go next jaydee. for that matter, im not really caught up in this one only because you see these things often. they all seem to go the same way though. long, drawn out, by the end of it people have forgotten why they were there and settled for a ceremonial offering and told not to do it again.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
wasnt that long ago and the roar was ATI and Nvidia price fixing the whole market. amazing how soothing a little pile of cash can be to hurt feelings.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

yes and no. has microsoft ever REALLY lost a lawsuit? did ATI and Nvidia? moral victories are cheap to these companies. they will let you swim in them.