Intel attacks EU commision

Not sure if this has been posted before

"European regulators filed fresh anti-trust charges against the world's largest computer chip-maker in July, accusing it of abusing its dominant position in the market to try to squeeze out AMD"

"In reply, Intel asked that the Commission "annul the decisions" on the basis they "contain errors in law" and that the Commission pay the costs the US chip company has incurred to defend itself"

"Intel's move was met with criticism by the head of the Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA).

"We are disappointed that Intel has apparently chosen to attack the law enforcement organization that is investigating it," CCIA president Ed Black said in a statement.

"This is a tactic we have seen before by other companies when they have concluded they cannot effectively argue the merits of their wrongdoing.

"The European Commission's credibility is strong and as the historical record demonstrates it has consistently struck the right balance in antitrust action," he said. "

http://www.eubusiness.com/news-eu/1227740521.17

Not sure what to make of this
35 answers Last reply
More about intel attacks commision
  1. nothing really. that is just Intel saying they can afford to be in court as long as it takes to win. not shocking, not unprescedented. i kind of expect it from the powerful companies because thats their natural course of action lol
  2. Im guessing, if found guilty, the longer they have from having to pay a few billion, the better

    What I really dont understand is, whos ear will they get with this response? Ive heard of appealing, but this is more accusations. Only thing I can say is, CYA in a broader sense
  3. Who's the CEO of Intel Gil Bates???
  4. Hes known as the master

    I remember when this all started, and the estimates of costs, not inclusive of court costs, were exceding 3 billion by early estimates. Could be that high, or higher if they drag it out further
  5. If this this plays out and Phenom II lives up to most of the hype, this could really put a chink in Intel's armor.
  6. Keep in mind that the "European regulators" who do all this have very well paid and secure jobs and they want this situation to continue. If Intel is willing to keep the case going for ever, they will be happy to help. Of course, consumers are the ones who pay for the regulators' salaries and benefits and perks (through their income taxes and VAT) and for Intel's lawyers (through higher prices).
  7. One things for sure, having just gone to i7, and it being planned as a slow adapter in production/sales, according to Intel, and having the present economy the way it is, the margins will surely hurt. Depends on IF, how much and when if so.
  8. Higher prices, if Deneb comes thru, is what he was talking about. Makes it all the harder for profit margins, if your competitor has something to offer, and not having all the fines attached.
  9. "annul the decisions" on the basis they "contain errors in law"

    Seems reasonable.
  10. I say if it took a team of lawyers 5 months to come up with that statement, they might be doing a little straw grasping.


    PS: JDJ, what are those little red -1's for. You doing a bit of inappropriate touching ???
  11. I never notice them. The only time I do is when someones been voted down. I think if someone posts something undesirable, or wrong, then post the corrections. If someones right, then yea, give em a thumbs up +.

    Point is, if somethings undesirable, getting someone elses POV can be invaluable. Alot better than - vote in my mind. Ive been swayed by others POV many a time, and find a simple - lacking, and not helpful at all
  12. Ya, maybe thier using Intel's support team.

    Part of the reason I signed to this forum was to learn from others. More than 1 POV is always better. Thats why they have debate teams in HS.
  13. People do tend to side one way or another, do to their previous purchases, experience etc, thats normal, but to go beyond favortism, and find that if a judge finds someone or thing guilty, and not to agree, well its like saying, if the gloves dont fit, you have to aquite heheh. Trouble is, sometimes people believe the gloves, and not the larger picture
  14. Definitely, plp awlays want to believe that thier purchases are the best or they feel they been cheated. But they shouldn't if they did their research, ie... I put this system together (AMD 5400) knowing that it's not to compair to mid-upper Intels. But I don't know Intels, so I went this way hoping the next showing for AMD would make up some ground.


    HAVA NICE TURKEY DAY

    check back later
  15. TY, you too !!
  16. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    Im guessing, if found guilty, the longer they have from having to pay a few billion, the better

    What I really dont understand is, whos ear will they get with this response? Ive heard of appealing, but this is more accusations. Only thing I can say is, CYA in a broader sense


    heck i have no idea who or where it would go next jaydee. for that matter, im not really caught up in this one only because you see these things often. they all seem to go the same way though. long, drawn out, by the end of it people have forgotten why they were there and settled for a ceremonial offering and told not to do it again.
  17. I ncurrently live in California, and these things are EXPECTED here heheh
  18. they lose the lawsuites..
  19. wasnt that long ago and the roar was ATI and Nvidia price fixing the whole market. amazing how soothing a little pile of cash can be to hurt feelings.
  20. blackwidow_rsa said:
    they lose the lawsuites..


    yes and no. has microsoft ever REALLY lost a lawsuit? did ATI and Nvidia? moral victories are cheap to these companies. they will let you swim in them.
  21. Thing is, both nVidia and ATI werent found guilty, but here, it doesnt look as promising, tho you never know.
  22. indeed they were but it was a victory for them punatively. i am sure they are both happy with the outcome lol
  23. I hope they win. I can't stand the EU anti-trust regulators.
  24. If that happened, it would get real interesting indeed
  25. Considering the fact MS did lose their battle with the EU regulators, as in the past have GM, Ford, VW, IBM and a multitude of other companies it sounds to me like they are grasping at anything to avoid paying a fine. Intel aren't worth anything like MS, who can and did spend millions on legal fees.
  26. Intel knows they're guilty and they're going to lose the case. That's why they attacked.

    It's just a matter of time before the gavel falls and punishes Tyranny. :)

    From other articles you can see clearly that Intel is real nervous and does not want to lose the
    anti trust case. If Intel had nothing to fear from AMD they wouldn't have violate the law.

    Watch the market shift in favor of AMD sometime after the suit is settled.

    ;)
  27. enigma067 said:
    From other articles you can see clearly that Intel is real nervous and does not want to lose the
    anti trust case.

    What self-respecting company would want to lose the case?

    enigma067 said:
    Watch the market shift in favor of AMD sometime after the suit is settled.

    ;)

    What do businesses care if AMD is being squeezed by Intel's dominance? They'll still buy whatever suits their bottom line, be it AMD or Intel.
  28. The main reason for squeezing out your compatiton in business so that you can dictate prices to the consumer. ( ie... mickyscoft ) You pay more for XP than you do Vista. (Nothin like getting something crammed your throat A).
  29. randomizer said:
    What self-respecting company would want to lose the case?


    What do businesses care if AMD is being squeezed by Intel's dominance? They'll still buy whatever suits their bottom line, be it AMD or Intel.


    I agree with the smiling cat.
  30. While I agree, a company will buy whatever, part of these lawsuits go to benck marks, and to how theyre done. According to the lawsuit, Intels compiler was slowing AMDs cpus down by more than 10%. When companies decide on their purchases, alot of times they go by benchmarks to get an idea as to the newer cpus performance. Im not saying this is the only decision maker, but it is part of their decision making when buying a cpu for their servers, and thats exactly where companies care, and why, if found guilty, this is just 1 example of Intels possible wrongdoing

    Anyone that has need of a lawyer, whether its in house/their own, retained or thru the yellow pages, that lawyer is going to defend his/her client no matter what, and its just how its done. However, to come at the lawmakers themselves is something somewhat unique, in that, its not the wrongdoing theyre denying when saying this, its the laws that effect them that are in question, and their understanding of those laws arent being used properly towards their clients.

    Im sure Intel has some mighty fine lawyers, but this is sorta like fighting city hall, it just cant be done, and their lawyers, unless they actually have another body to appeal to, thats totally seperate, and higher, are just filling the open air with words
  31. enigma067 said:
    If Intel had nothing to fear from AMD they wouldn't have violate the law.

    If Intel has to fear AMD (and market action during K10's reign proved they do), then they're not a monopoly.
  32. BeakerUK said:
    Considering the fact MS did lose their battle with the EU regulators, as in the past have GM, Ford, VW, IBM and a multitude of other companies it sounds to me like they are grasping at anything to avoid paying a fine. Intel aren't worth anything like MS, who can and did spend millions on legal fees.


    kind of proves my point. all the companies you mentioned are still around. this event isnt going to re-shape the tech landscape anymore than the others who lost. get a grip on reality guys. this wont be the event that AMD leapfrogs over Intel anymore than when Microsoft lost becoming the launchpad for Linux taking over the desktop market. its a short term nuisance financially and a slap on the hand. the only company that can make AMD #1 is AMD. a lawsuit isnt going to do it. releasing superior products and ability to produce tons of them for OEM's will.
  33. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    While I agree, a company will buy whatever, part of these lawsuits go to benck marks, and to how theyre done. According to the lawsuit, Intels compiler was slowing AMDs cpus down by more than 10%. When companies decide on their purchases, alot of times they go by benchmarks to get an idea as to the newer cpus performance. Im not saying this is the only decision maker, but it is part of their decision making when buying a cpu for their servers, and thats exactly where companies care, and why, if found guilty, this is just 1 example of Intels possible wrongdoing

    Anyone that has need of a lawyer, whether its in house/their own, retained or thru the yellow pages, that lawyer is going to defend his/her client no matter what, and its just how its done. However, to come at the lawmakers themselves is something somewhat unique, in that, its not the wrongdoing theyre denying when saying this, its the laws that effect them that are in question, and their understanding of those laws arent being used properly towards their clients.

    Im sure Intel has some mighty fine lawyers, but this is sorta like fighting city hall, it just cant be done, and their lawyers, unless they actually have another body to appeal to, thats totally seperate, and higher, are just filling the open air with words

    I hadn't seen mention of the compilers before. Where did you see that?
    That could be huge. Just add 10% to present benchmarks, and all of a sudden AMD chips look a lot more competative.
  34. Old news. It goes back to 2005 and before, theyve since "corrected" the "problem". Ill see if I can dig up some info on it
  35. Heres a couple links
    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/12/1320202&tid=142
    http://techreport.com/discussions.x/8547
    I havnt seen anything to prove or disprove this as final fact either way, tho I suspect it exists, or existed to some degree, thats just my opinion. Sounding like TWIMTBP sorta thing alllll over again heheh
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer Intel European