Power Supply good enough for Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX+

DivineOmega

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
My brother wanted a new graphics card. I installed a Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX+ for him with no problems (upgrading from a 7600GT) . However, when under heavy graphical load (3D gaming) for a while there is graphical corruption for a few seconds and then the monitor reports 'No Signal Input' indicating the graphics card has stopped outputing.

After ruling out overheating, I concluded the 550w power supply was probably the problem. The therefore upgraded it to a Hiper 780w power supply (see http://www.hipergroup.com/products.php?lv=4&cate=1&type=7&pid=129&action=Specification).

Unfortunately, the same problem is still occuring. After playing games for a while, graphical corruption and the the same 'No Signal Input'. Is this new power supply sufficient or do you reckon the card is faulty? Or is it something else?

Many thanks,
Jordan

einsteinabel

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
You need to have a 12V output with minimum of 24 Amp your power supply has max of 18 Amp on all 12V rails. So even though the total wattage is high it is still lacking power delivery to your card.

His power supply has a combined output of 60 amps on the four 18 amp max 12v rails, he could run dual 9800's if he wanted.
The reccomended wattage and amperage is not for just the card, it's for the entire system, the card uses between 7 and 9.5 amps on it's own ( depending on model )

@DivineOmega,
How did you rule out temperature ?
Have you tried other drivers ?