Sign in with
Your question

AGP 7600 GS Power Supply

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2008 5:32:21 PM

I recently returned a BFG 6800 GT card to BFG and received a free 7600 OC GS as a replacement. Specs call for at least a 400 watt power supply with a 20amp 12v rail. I have an OCZ 500watt power supply with 2 12v 18watt rails.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

System boots fine with this card and peformes the basics but freezes when I put a load on it with COD4. When I put a 7300 card back in it works fine(other than the FPS of course) There is one 12v SATA line and one 12v Molex line. Can I put an adapter on the SATA line and connect it only to the graphics card and use the 12v molex for peripherals? I only have a hard drive, cd/dvd drive and case fan on the molex line. Don't need the 3.5 disk drive.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. thanks...

System:
AMD 3400 (single core)
ASUS K8V-x MB
2 GB G-skill

More about : agp 7600 power supply

a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2008 6:20:50 PM

You have 2 +12v rails one is for the card and the other is for other stuff. Im assuming the one with the Molex is the GPU one. System specs aside (they always way overestemate them) Your 6800 GT used approx 55 Watts or 4.6 Amps The standard 7600 GS uses 27 Watts or 2.25 Amps and the 7600GT uses 36 Watts or 3 Amps. The 7600 OC GS will lie somewhere between the last two and so i hope its clear to you that it shouldnt be a power problem.
The card may be faulty and im hoping you could still RMA it or your power supply could i guess be faulty.
Wait for a couple more opinions first, but i would send teh card back if it was me.

Mactronix
October 1, 2008 6:30:51 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry, her is a little more info. One of the 12v lines has SATA connectors only and I have no SATA devices so it is not used. Unfortunately everything is on the 12v MOLEX line including the GPU. What if I put a SATA to 4 pin Molex adapter on the SATA line for the GPU only.

Update, GPU came with no documentation. Upon closer inspection it is a 7800 AGP not 7600.
Related resources
October 1, 2008 6:35:40 PM

A 7600GS doesn't need much power. Your psu is probably not the problem. The card could be faulty. Test the card with ATITool. Have it scan for artifacts. If it passes, then it could be a driver issue. Uninstall the drivers and clean the sysytem with Driver Cleaner Pro. The install the newest drivers.
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2008 9:06:58 PM

There is no reason not to put an adaptor on the other +12V line in fact its preferable to have one line dedicated to the GPU anyway. The 7800 is more power hungry than your old card but still your PSU shouldnt have an issue running it.
Have you checked your temps ? you say it happens when you put it under load. It wouldnt be the first time a heatsink being fitted incorrectly caused a card to overheat and cut out under load. If you have not checked the temps then do so as a card will suffer being overheated a few times but its the quickest way i know of killing one.

Mactronix
October 2, 2008 3:07:48 PM

Ran ATITOOL and as soon as it reported No errors the system froze. Temps on ATITOOL chart were a constant and it did not appear that it was overheating. Unistalled the card and ran Driver Cleaner Pro and then reinstalled fresh. Froze in windows desktop. Now have a Sapphire 3850 on order and am going to persue the RMA with BFG. The card cost me only the shipping. Still wish I had the 6800 OC GT I sent back. Other than being noisy and maybe needing a new fan it worked ok. Time for a new system after xmas I think.
!