8400gs , Can Cope With Crysis??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuveDRAN

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Hey

This is my first post and I really need an answer. Let me get straight to the point . Im looking for a cheap graphics card for my computer. I have considered the 8400gs. Now I would like to know if it can play it at all low settings. I dont care about the frame rates (used to play FEAR at 10 Frames) As long as the game runs

PC specs: AMD Athlon 3400+ 2.2 ghz AM2.
512mb DDR2 800
350w PSU
Xp Pro
Also I will most likely game on a 15' monitor.

Thanks in Advance

Hi welcome to the furum :)

So you looked at the 8400GS, as a graphics card goes especially with crysis in mind even at the lowest settings that just wont cut it. That does suggest you have a motherboard with a PCI-E slot though so if you can tell us what you are looking to spend and where you are in the world or which online shops we should link you to with options we can help you out.
At least another 512 of ram would be very useful if you can stretch to that.
You do have a PCI-E slot and not an AGP slot ?

Mactronix

Well there is no point in speculating i guess i could argue that you are wrong but lets wait for the op to send the info on Budget and where to shop and we can give some properly informed advice. By any given standard the 8400gs is a very weak card and the OP has XP so there will be other DX9 only optens to think about that would walk all over a 8400GS.

Mactronix

einstein4pres

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Just for the record, I just picked up a 9600gso (aka 8800gs) for $34 AR from newegg.

Also, resolution is more important than monitor size in judging what to suggest.

[:mousemonkey:5] An 8400gs coping with Crysis!! [:mousemonkey:5] ,I'm sorry, but I own and use one and I can't believe that anyone would even contemplate such a thing. @einstein4pres, Good call on the 9600gso a much better option IMHO.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I once tried running Crysis on my laptop as an experiment sometime ago, which runs a lowly ATI X1300 mobility. I knew it wasn't going to run Crysis that great and what I found is even on the lowest settings/resolution the game was unplayable.

Nvidia's 8400GS is another low performance card, that's not much better than the X1300 that I tried the game on. Your not going to get anything that playable on such a slow card. These cards were designed as a step up from integrated graphics that steal system memory, but no good for recent games. Spend a little more money and you'll find GFX cards that will give you much better gaming performance without breaking the bank.

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Right... i have an HP dv6516TX laptop thats loaded with an 8400GS and a 1.5ghz C2D. I did play Crysis last year on the lowest setting on that laptop.

Although the game runs, there definitely was a lot of lag. I never bothered using Fraps, but yeah, i did play the whole game... with a shipload of lag.

So the answer to your query is, YES the 8400GS does play Crysis... but 512MB of RAM will rape the frame rates sideways. I played with 2GB DDR2 on that HP.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that graphics quality IS the point of games like FEAR and Crysis.

Example - I played FEAR on a 7600 GT and later on an 8800 Ultra. There's just no comparison. It's a different game with everything maxed out running smoothly.

If you want to experience those types of games the way they're meant to be played you have to save some $ for a good GPU. It's worth it.

Personally - I'll never buy anything less than high-end again.

If it plays at all it would be like playing a slideshow, first of all you'll need more system memory, and at least an 8800GT!

This game is bringing even the highest end machines to their knees on the higher settings, but even at the lowest possible settings you still have to meet the minimum system requirements.

http://www.crysisdemo.com/crysis-system-requirements.htm

RuveDRAN

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Hey

Thanks for all the response guys and from the looks of it the 8400gs will not run crysis and in response to Mactronix

I live in South Africa so we work in rands and dollars.

One of the 2 main website which we shop at are www.sybaritic.co.za/

and http://www.take2.co.za/electronics

Now my budget has to be under R1000.00 so if anyone can offer advice that would most helpful

and Thanks for all your help so far

Well you really need to be looking at a card with 512mb of ram to be playing games comfortably these days and as you have limited system Ram as well it may well be advisable to pay the extra to get the 512mb over a 256mb card.
Having said that you say you have a 15 inch screen which will offset the problem quite a bit. The card that i played Crysis on at 1024 x 768 with X2 AA was in fact a 256mb card so i think you would be ok with one if you couldn't afford the options with 512mb. In fact it may be the better option and use the difference to get more system Ram.

Looking at your sites i have found the following. They are the cheapest cards that will give you a decent experience in Crysis. You likely wont be able to turn much if any extra details on, but at 1024 x 768 Crysis is plenty playable and you would possibly get X2 AA, but not much more.

The first two cards i think are the same and as you can see one is on special at a very good price, they are 256mb cards however.

http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/product_info.php?cPath=74_224&products_id=15183
http://www.take2.co.za/electronics-asus-ati-radeon-hd3650-256mb-pci-e-3985830.html

The other two are both 512mb cards one is the same model as the other two but with more Ram and the other is an Nvidia offering that is of a similar performance.

http://www.sybaritic.co.za/store/product_info.php?cPath=74_224&products_id=15779
http://www.take2.co.za/electronics-leadtek-nvidia-geforce-9500gt-512mb-pci-e-4021070.html

I know my suggestions seem biased towards ATI but to be honest i just went down the sites on a cost basis and posted what i thought the best options.

Dont just take my opinion wait for some more options and feel free to ask about any thing that isnt clear

Mactronix

xelonth

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Hi,

I have the nVidia 8500GT and it works really well when Crysis is at all lowest settings, no AA or AF at a reslution of 1280x1024 without a problem. Way more than 10FPS at least

RuveDRAN

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Ok thanks for all the help everyone , especially mactronix for advising me which card to go for, im going to the shop 2moro to see if they have those cards ( they sell things cheap, you can buy an xfx gtx 280 1gb or asus 4870x2 2gb for R4000.00 and if you look at the prices at the the websites i have listed , theres a big difference)

If they dont have those cards i will buy it online and will tell everyone how it performs. so thanks everyone

bye

Status
Not open for further replies.