Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is best heatsink and fan for my build?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 1, 2009 7:12:41 PM

I am trying to decide on which air cooled cpu heatsink is the best that will fit in my build. Emphasis is on "fit". With all 6 memory slots full, it must clear the memory in the case. I would like to use the Prolimatech Megahalem Rev. B if it will fit. If I go with this what fans would you recommend? I like quiet, reliable, and lots of airflow.

My build (critical parts) is as follows:

Antec 1200 Case
EVGA E758-A1- 3-Way SLI MOBO
Intel i7-920
12 GB (6 x 2gb) OCZ Platinum SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory
Corsair 128 SSD
2 WD Caviar Black 640 GB Harddrives (Raid 1)
Corsair 850TX PSU

Thanks for your help.

More about : heatsink fan build

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
December 1, 2009 11:03:55 PM

The Prolimatech Megahalem Rev. B will fit the Antec case and it will clear the memory.

Here's a handy tip - Install the memory before you install the cpu heatsink. It's a lot easier that way.

The problem with the extra tall tower style heatsinks and memory is those memory sticks that have the extra tall heatspreaders that kind of look like a comb. Those are the ones that interfere with the heatsinks. Your OCZ memory sticks have standard heatspreaders so you will be okay.

December 2, 2009 12:02:07 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
The Prolimatech Megahalem Rev. B will fit the Antec case and it will clear the memory.

Here's a handy tip - Install the memory before you install the cpu heatsink. It's a lot easier that way.

The problem with the extra tall tower style heatsinks and memory is those memory sticks that have the extra tall heatspreaders that kind of look like a comb. Those are the ones that interfere with the heatsinks. Your OCZ memory sticks have standard heatspreaders so you will be okay.

Thanks. That makes me feel alot better. Do you have any recommendations on fans?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2009 12:41:29 AM

All the veterans have their own personal favorites. Mine are the Scythe S-Flex series that come in a variety of rpm's and cfm's. I use the 1,600 rpm version for my cpu heatsink and the exhaust fan on the rear panel and the 1,200 rpm version for the rest of the case fans.

One of the inherent problems is high volume air flow versus noise. As the rpm and cfm increase so does the noise. A compromise is in order.

Another problem is that not everyone's hearing is the same. One person's quiet pc may be another person's jet fighter on take off.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2009 12:51:53 AM

I prefer the Scythe Slipstream or Yate Loons. Or if you want max airflow, Scythe Ultra Kaze (or if you don't care about noise at all, some 200CFM Delta fans :lol:  ).

Just a little note: If you haven't bought the system yet, and you have a Microcenter close by, you can grab the i7 920 for $200. You may also want to consider the HAF 932.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
December 2, 2009 1:28:19 AM

Shadow - No Microcenter stores in Arizona and it's in store only!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!

There! I feel better now.
m
l
a c 146 K Overclocking
December 2, 2009 1:39:23 AM

As usual I agree with the other skeleton faced guy, tho do keep in mind that prolimatech tech support will tell you they recommend against any fans over 1200 rpm. I have Enermax testing these for me in a ganged configuration to see if the MoBo's COU header will control ganged set in push pull.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7489/fan-437/Enermax_...

I'd suggest one of these for RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

I don't think you will see any benefit from the extra 6 GB of RAM

I'd suggest the Antec CP-850 PSU over the Corsair TX.....it's designed specifically for the 1200 case and electrically is comparable to Corsair's top of the line HX-850. See:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Antec_CP-850

If you haven't bought those HD's yet, I'd be willing to bet that a single WD Black 2 TB model (or Spinpoint F3) would outperform the 640's in RAID in gaming benchmarks. Note only the 2 TB WD has the 500 GB platters like all the F3 models.

Note: I just finished a build w/ my son in the Antec 1200 case w/ the megahalems.....tips....

1. As per Prolimatech TS, install with HS fans blowing to rear (yeah i know, logic says up but TS say they have tested better the other way.

2. If you use hi end RAM in a 12 GB configuration, check w/ manufacturer about fi. For example, I used Mushkin CAS 6 memory with the Ascent coolers (998692). Mushkin recommends against using these and recommends the 998691 models (w/o the Ascent coolers) in 12 GB configurations to provide adequate air flow between the modules.

3. If you buy the 'optional" two fans for the 1200, you have to mod the case window mounted one. Simply done w/ a dremel tool. The only way i can describe the mod is for you to think if the fan as a salami sandwich.....round fan housing (salami) sandwiched between 2 square mounting plates (bread). Thinking now of opening the sandwich and looking at just one side, you'll see 4 little triangles of bread, one at each corner, that aren't covered by the salami.....trim one corner off (top one when mounted in case) just one of the pieces of bread (exhaust side facing CPU) and you'll fit fine. Took about 90 seconds to do the mod.

m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 2, 2009 3:07:58 AM

If you don't have a dremel, a pair of good wirecutters would cut it off, bit by bit too. never underestimate the force of manual tools and a strong grip.
m
l
!