port replicator monitor troubles

AngelAngelAngel

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I was updating the drivers on my work computer recently, which is a laptop connected to a CRT monitor via a port replicator, but after updating the drivers for the CRT, I can no longer get the laptop to display anything on it.

It seems to work if I go start > control panel > display > settings and ask it to extend windows onto the other monitor.. but its no real solution.

I tried rolling back the driver, uplugging and replugging the monitor... all to no avail. The driver roll back won't work as it requests the windows CD. I wonder, can I just use any windows CD? Or does it have to be the one that came with that computer?

Angel xooxox

obiwan05

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
it should be the same version of windows, but does not need to be the same cd (ie xp pro or xp home or whatever).

It is quite probable that the new driver you installed set the refresh rate or display resolution to one that the crt cannot display since extending worked fine. Or on seconed though, after installing the new drivers, did you activate the external monitor clone via Fn F4 or F5 or whatever your laptop uses?

After you get a driver going again, try to set your resolution to something really low like 640x480 and see if the crt starts to display the copy of your laptop screen or not. Also make sure you do the fn F4 or F5 or whatever. First press should send video to just CRT, a second push should display the video on both crt and laptop screen, 3rd push puts display back on laptop only...

AngelAngelAngel

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
I don't have an XP disk, but I have an XP on a flash drive - maybe I can use that. I activated the external monitor clone via Fn+F(x) which woke the EMC up, but I didn't know about pressing it multiple times, I'll try that when I'm next in at work. Also, I might look into weather or not the computer has any restore points.