Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I think my computer has a virus

Last response: in Windows XP
February 7, 2011 2:05:13 AM

I opened Spybot Search and Destroy to update the immunizations for Firefox. When I clicked the Immunize button a window popped up saying that Internet Explorer was running. I never opened IE, so I checked the Windows Task Manager and iexplore.exe was running. I ran Avast antivirus both in Safe Mode and regular mode and it did find different viruses each time, however iexplore.exe keep popping up in the task manager. Also, a couple of times I have heard an advertisement playing in the background. I should mention that iexplore.exe also keeps starting up on its own when I have the computer in Safe Mode. Does anyone know how to get rid of this?

I have Avast antivirus, Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware and CCleaner.

More about : computer virus

Best solution

a b 8 Security
February 7, 2011 3:11:06 PM

run Malwarebytes in Save Made with Network, update it, and run a full scan
February 10, 2011 12:33:43 AM

Thanks for the advice. I did run Malwarebytes and it found some spyware that Spybot didn't catch. However, the iexplore.exe process was still starting on its own. I talked to the head IT guy where I worked and he gave me a usb drive with Combofix.exe that he downloaded from BleepingComputers.com. I ran it and it worked. The iexplore.exe does not show up anymore in the process list. My computer is working again. :D 
m
l
February 10, 2011 12:34:15 AM

Best answer selected by CBaca.
m
l
!