Sep 7, 2008
hi all,

i just finished ordering my new rig and heres what it looks like:

case ANTEC Gamer Twelve Hundred w/o PSU, Unbeatable Gamer Case

Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave USB / 920-000289

PSU CORSAIR 750W, TX Series CMPSU-750TXEU, 12cm vent,ATX2 ver 2.2

DVD+RW/-RW Pioneer DVR-215DBK, SATA, Dual Layer, 20x, black, bulk

MB ASUS S775 P5Q Deluxe, FSB 1600, Intel P45, PCI-E, DDR2

Mushkin DDR2-1066 XP2-8500 4GB KIT (2x2GB) (2 kits for the total amount of 8 GB RAM)

*HDD Western Digital Caviar WD6400AAKS, S-ATA300, 640GB/16MB/7200rpm

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 BOX, 4×2.83GHz, 1333MHz, 775-pin, 12MB

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870x2, 2GB DDR5, PCIE, TVout, DVI

Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 Red Scorpion CPU cooler

LCD TV Philips 47"pfl9603 to be used as a PC monitor

ill be using 64 bit dual boot OS (xp64, vista ultimate 64)

i should point out all games will be played on the tvs native full hd resolution (1920x1080) and ill be doing some heavy everyday multitasking as well

will there be any problems with this build or is everything well balanced ? tell me what i couldve chosen better instead

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Looks good. Agree with Proximon - the reason to dual boot is usually for 32/64.

I would have said before you ordered that I have read that 8GB offers no benefit over 4GB of RAM.

Also would have said something similar about DDR2 800 vs DDR2 1066, but you've already ordered.

Looks like you made nice choices, besides the few little things. Have fun.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I've actually seen that 8GB rarely makes a difference unless you turn off the page file in Windows (which can prove to be a problem since some programs require it).

I can't find the article I read that had the benchmarks awhile back. I wish I would have bookmarked it.

Either way, enjoy.

x3mgamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

yeah, ur both right, its for 32/64 dual boot, ive seen a few users hit a 5-6 gigabyte usage on vista with multitasking all day without restarting, those 8 gigs r only fail-safe feature i decided to implement, makes me sleep easier lol

anyone had any experience with NCQ on WD 640 gb?

also, how far do u think ill be able to push q9550 on air without worrying about it melting down?

Good choice on the 8GB of RAM, especially since the next version of photoshop will probably be 64-bit only as an excuse to eat up huge amounts of RAM. Also alot of older apps that run in 32-bit will take up double the space. This happens because they are requesting 32-bit words in a 64-bit system, so when they request memory the OS puts asside twice as much since each 64-bit location is only half empty with a 32-bit value.

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
very nice build.

wd 640gb is a great drive. best price per gb you will find and fast. ncq is a benefit. i think you will be very happy with it. haven't had any issues.

+1 to retention bracket, well worth $7. :) :)

you might want to look into the page file stuff on vista. have heard you can have some pretty nice gains by adjusting that since you have the ram.

that case and the xigmatek should keep everything nice and cool 4870x2 also has the exhaust. so all of that combined should keep it nice in there. don't think you are going to have temp problems.

if you are going to push the q9550 just do it incrementally and test it and the temp. but you should be able to push it pretty good with that set up.

x3mgamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
OK heres the thing , Xigmatek Red Scorpion is outta stock till the end of the month so a guy in the store is offering me OCZ Vendetta 2 instead

should i wait for Scorpion or go with OCZ Vendetta 2 ?

i cant get mushkin kits so the guy offers me 2 x Corsair DDR2-1066 TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB KIT (2x2GB) instead, whats the loss/benefit ?

update: went with OCZ Vendetta 2 and Corsair ram, it should be here by thursday afternoon, hope i havent made a mistake

do u think there will be problems installing Vendetta 2 on a P5Q deluxe mobo, will it block any dimm slots?

btw do i need a retention bracket for OCZ Vendetta 2? coz ive read the push-pin system is abnormally tight

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
corsair ram is good. i don't think you will have any issue with that.

i haven't used that cooler. but the vendetta 2 is the one with the 120mm not the 90mm right?

mounting will probably be a pain in the a** because i'm pretty sure push pins are your only option. just make sure you get it on there right.

get some more opinions but i have heard of people using the xigmatek retention bracket. i haven't done it myself so can't give you more details but worth exploring.

x3mgamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
do u think Corsair HX Series, CMPSU-620HXEU 620W, Modular would be enough for my build?

also, why is corsair 750 w better than chieftec 750 and vice versa?

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
i think 620w is pushing it. probably enough. me personally, i like to error on the side of a litle more power in case i want to add anything in the future. or if i look to upgrade. i don't think the 750w is that much more anyhow is it? corsair and pc power and cooling are leaders in the psu industry. they make great psus that you can't go wrong with.

While the 620 is probably enough, you happen to have the guys that favor more responding to your thread. Others will tell you to just get the 620W.

It's a really big question about the relative quality of PSUs. You have to understand that a PSU is actually a fairly complicated thing. When they are made poorly, they will run too hot, or loud, or the DC current they produce will not be stable enough causing your computer to have mysterious problems. You can't really tell for yourself what is good, and you cannot trust 90% of the reviews you find with a google.

Really bad PSUs can even fail spectacularly, taking your hardware with them.

Really, the main site for PSU reviews is http://jonnyguru.com/ .

Sorry, I don't know of many modular units right now. There is some patent litigation going on, and many of the quality PSU makers are shying away from modular cables for that reason.

I have to say I favor the 750TX as well.

x3mgamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
much appreciated guys, i trust toms hardware a lot, what if i decided to go with 1000 w PSU, does that mean it would drain 1 kilowatt of power each hour or what? why do ppl say ur electricity bill will rise with more powerful PSU

if my components drain 520 watts consistently, itll stay 520 watts on a 650 w psu and a 1000 w psu, nothing changes, those components still drain the same amount of power no matter the strength of PSU right?

Yep a quality PSU is efficient at normal loads, regardless of it's wattage rating. If your components were actually pulling 500W, then your 80% efficient PSU would be pulling 625W or less at the wall, regardless of it's max wattage. (Your actual numbers would be lower than that by a good amount. Remember you need to add in other factors like how hard your PSU is working and how long you want it to last.)

You don't have to go to a 1K model to get a good one though...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341009

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256036

Both of those are good quality units, both modular.

x3mgamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
ok all components have arrived xcept PSU, corsair dominator airflow kits, and Xigmatek crossbow retention bracket those r due next week, ill grab that tv on tuesday

HD4870X2 costs 3 times as much as P5Q Deluxe mobo but for some reason im more impressed with the mobo, whats wrong with me? am i not enough of a gamer? lol

thank u for helping me choose the components, here they r in order of arrival:

Antec twelve hundred case
OCZ Vendetta 2 cooler
Corsair Dominator 1066 ram 2 kits (2x2 GB each)
HDD Seagate 640 gb 7200.11
Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870X2
Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Pioneer DVR-215DBK

now OS-wise u would all recommend Vista ultimate 64 right? is there any other way of releasing the full potential of this build?

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
killer network gaming card. JUST KIDDING. :) :)

build looks great.

+1 to vista 64gb. i'm not the one for the advice but there may be some junk on vista to turn off to keep peak performance. another thing that could eek out some more would be a partition on the hard drive for your OS. But again, that isn't my strong area so i can't tell you how much that would help and what the positive vs. negatives would be.

x3mgamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
will i notice any difference between dx9 and dx10? i heard gaming was a lot more natural and immersive on dx10, any experiences?

also, is Corsair TX 750w PSU really the best 750w psu on the planet? i gotta wait till next week if it is lol

bdollar

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
i think dx10 is worth it. if you have the system (which you do above) to take advantage then it is pretty cool.

pc power and cooling and corsair are leaders in PSUs. you can't go wrong with either. but if where you are it is hard to get those then you may want to look at the site proximon showed you above (johnnyguru) and see what other brands rank high and pick from there. very trusted sight and would go with their recommendation in a heart beat.