Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HD4670 or HD3850 or 9600GT?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 1, 2008 6:38:59 PM

I'm now a proud owner of a HD4670, but I now may choose between the HD3850 or GF9600GT. My father got those two cards from his work for free :lol:  i may choose one and he will use the other one. I've seen some benchmarks of them, but i'm wondering if the 9600gt will still out preform the HD3850 later on, due the ammount of stream processors in the 3850, alot more than the 9600GT. I like to play games with 8x AA and 8x AF, @ 1280x1024 60Hz.
I've got a nvidia chipset, i don't know if it will make a diffrence but my motherboard is a M2n-MX, and my psu 650 watt, with one 6 pin pci-e connector.

More about : hd4670 hd3850 9600gt

October 1, 2008 6:59:15 PM

go with the 9600GT! don't doubt
October 1, 2008 7:08:06 PM

9600GT
Related resources
a c 198 U Graphics card
October 1, 2008 7:12:46 PM

9600 GT

Am I spotting the beginnings of a pattern here? :) 
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2008 7:14:20 PM

Stay with the 4670, ESPECIALLY if you have a Crossfire motherboard. (Unlike nVidia, you CAN use 2 different series cards, as long as they are X-Fireable)

Either way it goes, the 4670 OWNS the 9600, and the 3850. Save both for budget builds later (or spares, as cards do burn out). And if between the 9600, or the 3850, I'd go with the 9600.
a c 89 U Graphics card
October 1, 2008 7:19:26 PM

He has an Nvidia Chipset with only one PCIe x 16 slot, he couldn't possibly crossfire it on that mobo , stick to the 9600 GT
October 1, 2008 7:22:21 PM

IH8U said:
Stay with the 4670, ESPECIALLY if you have a Crossfire motherboard. (Unlike nVidia, you CAN use 2 different series cards, as long as they are X-Fireable)

Either way it goes, the 4670 OWNS the 9600, and the 3850. Save both for budget builds later (or spares, as cards do burn out). And if between the 9600, or the 3850, I'd go with the 9600.


the op just said his board has Nvidia chipset, and the 9600gt is better than the 4670
October 1, 2008 7:28:36 PM

thanks for all the reply's, but can anyone explain what the functions are of the steam processors? Cause the 9600 gt has less than the halve of the HD3/4xxx.
October 2, 2008 4:17:23 AM

Don't worry about that. Nvidia and ATI count stream processors as different things. ATi counts simple stream processors, and Nvidia counts complex ones, it takes 5 of ATi's stream processors to roughly equal 1 of Nvidia's. 9600GT is a little better than the 4670, and the HD 3850 DIES with AA on.
October 2, 2008 12:31:02 PM

I would stay with the 4670.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2008 2:05:33 PM

Forget the HD3850 as it will be the weakest with fsaa cranked like you desire. +1 9600GT vote; it is typically ahead of the 4670. Had it been a 9600GSO not GT, I'd say it's a toss-up so stay with your card.
October 2, 2008 10:41:54 PM

pauldh said:
Forget the HD3850 as it will be the weakest with fsaa cranked like you desire. +1 9600GT vote; it is typically ahead of the 4670. Had it been a 9600GSO not GT, I'd say it's a toss-up so stay with your card.


9600gso is still ahead of 4670, just not as much as 9600gt. And yes, 9600gt is the best among the 3.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4670/2...
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2008 11:13:49 PM

dagger said:
9600gso is still ahead of 4670, just not as much as 9600gt. And yes, 9600gt is the best among the 3.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4670/2...

Yeah, That's generally my view too. It is by such a small margin IMO that I wouldn't say he should make the swap had it been a GSO. Nor would I bother to argue one is clearly better than the other as it just depends on the game, resolution, and settings. Most reviews show them trading blows, some put them about even, others the 9600GSO edges out a win. They look fairly even here:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/amd_ati_radeon_4670...
http://hothardware.com/Articles/ATI-Radeon-HD-4670-Rede...

February 22, 2009 3:55:44 PM

HD4670 is only good at standart or low resolutions, otherwise it's a piece crap and geats heavily stopmed eve nby X1950XT.
a b U Graphics card
February 22, 2009 4:03:07 PM

9600gt!
that card oc great. =p
!