I wish to format a hard drive in order to do a clean install of windows ME
and then possibly to upgrade to XP (I have the upgrade XP cd). could
someone please tell the procedure to do the format.

--
http://community.webshots.com/user/henry1921

http://ennifer.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

henry21 wrote:
> I wish to format a hard drive in order to do a clean install of windows ME
> and then possibly to upgrade to XP (I have the upgrade XP cd). could
> someone please tell the procedure to do the format.

It's not generally necessary to install WinMe prior to upgrading to
WinXP. It's quite possible to perform a clean installation using the
Upgrade CD, provided you have the true installation CD for the earlier OS.

Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
"Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

Alternatively, or especially if all you have is an OEM Recovery CD
for the earlier OS, you can even start the upgrade from within the
current Win98/Me/NT/2K installation, and still elect to perform a
clean installation, to include formatting the drive. In this case,
there's no further request for the qualifying OS's installation CD,
because the installation routing "remembers" that you started from
within the qualifying OS. This process is more time-consuming, but
you get the same results: a clean installation of WinXP.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

In news:%23UnHytksFHA.3180@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
henry21 <henry@ennifer81.freeserve.co.uk> typed:

> I wish to format a hard drive in order to do a clean install of
> windows ME and then possibly to upgrade to XP (I have the
> upgrade XP
> cd). could someone please tell the procedure to do the format.

No, you don't have to and shouldn't install Me first. Just
install XP cleanly. The requirement to use an upgrade version is
to *own* a previous qualifying version's installation CD (with an
OEM restore CD, see below), not to have it installed. When setup
doesn't find a previous qualifying version installed, it will
prompt you to insert its CD as proof of ownership. Just insert
the previous version's CD, and follow the prompts. Everything
proceeds quite normally and quite legitimately.

You can also do a clean installation if you have an OEM restore
CD of a previous qualifying version. It's more complicated, but
it *can* be done. First restore from the Restore CD. Then run the
XP upgrade CD from within that restored system, and change from
Upgrade to New Install. When it asks where, press Esc to delete
the partition and start over.

Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
prompted, then create a new one).

You can find detailed instructions here:

or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

Please reply to the newsgroup

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 19:55:49 +0100, henry21 wrote:

> I wish to format a hard drive in order to do a clean install of windows ME
> and then possibly to upgrade to XP (I have the upgrade XP cd). could
> someone please tell the procedure to do the format.

Henry, what's on the hard drive now? Do you want XP only as your end
result? What kind of setup is WinME - specialized OEM CD, generic OEM CD or
retail package?

If the WinME CD is generic OEM or retail, you can skip installing WinME.
Start XP's setup and when prompted, insert the WinME CD as proof of owning
an older version of Windows.

If WinME is a recovery CD from an OEM, install that first. Then run XP
setup.

What you use to format depends on what route of installation you take. Both
the WinME and XP CDs are bootable and include some disk tools for disk
preparation. There are setup documents on each of those CDs that are quite
comprehensive in covering various install scenarios. Check them out

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks for your help but I do wish to install Windows ME in order to use
existing hardware that wont run in XP.
The 2 disks I have, ME and XP Upgrade are both legal discs purchased at
Retail Outlets. I have a new laptop bought with XP installed so now I wish
to format my hard drive for the old comp but dont know how, Thanks again

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:38:05 +0100, henry21 wrote:

> Thanks for your help but I do wish to install Windows ME in order to use
> existing hardware that wont run in XP.
> The 2 disks I have, ME and XP Upgrade are both legal discs purchased at
> Retail Outlets. I have a new laptop bought with XP installed so now I wish
> to format my hard drive for the old comp but dont know how, Thanks again

Henry, putting the possible hardware issues aside for the moment, you would
not need to install WinME before installing XP. You will need the WinME CD
for a step during the setup (proof of a previous version of Windows) but
that's all you need it for.

Ken gave you two good links for step-by-step articles that walk you through
the setup process including formatting the hard drive. Suggest taking a
look at those. The directions are good and the screen shots of the setup
screens are a very handy reference.

Coming back to the hardware on the desktop -- as long as the system meets
the minimum system requirements for XP, there's a good chance the install
will go well. If there's hardware you have a question about - post here.

The upgrade advisor that the others have mentioned is rather dated but
would still be appropriate for an older desktop. It would also point out
any software that may not be compatible with XP. (You'll need to decide how
essential any incompatible software is to you and whether or not you want
to live without it.) The advisor is included on the WinXP upgrade CD. You
can run it without making any changes to the existing setup. Read the
report and then decide what you want to do.

And remember - If, for whatever reason, an XP install doesn't work out, you
can always start over and do a clean install of WinME instead.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks Sharon but in trying to install ME I was taken through all the steps
the Team advised on without any probs. The only prob is I want ME only at
this stage and can't find out how to uninstall/delete WindowsXP or format
the drive to achieve this, Best Wishes, Henry.

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 21:35:20 +0100, henry21 wrote:

> Thanks Sharon but in trying to install ME I was taken through all the steps
> the Team advised on without any probs. The only prob is I want ME only at
> this stage and can't find out how to uninstall/delete WindowsXP or format
> the drive to achieve this, Best Wishes, Henry.

You're welcome, Henry.

It helps if you give us details right from the start. Remember, we can't
see your system - you need to describe where you're at and where you want
to go. At this point and finally with this post, it sounds like you have
both WinME and XP installed on the desktop. However, I can't tell if you've
upgraded to XP -or- parallel installed XP next to ME on the same drive (not
supported) -or- you're running a dual boot on multiple partitions.
Anyhow...

What partition is WinME on? Does your system have only one hard drive with
one partition?

If no, post back with more details.

If yes, you'll need to run fdisk to delete the partition C:. Then still in
fdisk, create a new one. This will reset the partition and the master boot
record for a Win9x system. When that's finished, format the new partition.
During all of this answer yes to enabling LBA and select FAT32 when it's
offered. Once the drive is prepared, you can run setup on the WinME CD.

Here's a handy reference for working with drives that will have Win9x or
WinME installed on them:

How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or Repartition a Hard Disk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255867

Hope this helps.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Ok I think I understand. You want to have Windows Me running on your system
so you can use hardware that doesn't like XP.
Maybe someday in the future you will upgrade to Xp and have the software but
for now you just want Me. Is that right?

Here are 2 scenarios. Pick the one that is best for you.
1) You had Windows Me installed and then upgraded to XP but now want to
revert back to Windows Me by uninstalling XP. To do that simply go to
Control Panel->Add and Remove Programs. Select the option to Uninstall
Windows XP. That should roll you back to Windows Me. However, if after
upgrading from Windows Me to XP you converted the drive from FAT32 to NTFS
you will no longer have the option to roll back.

2) You want to remove Windows XP and do a fresh install of Windows Me. To do
this you need to repartition and reformat the drive. Boot with a Windows Me
Start-up floppy. At the command prompt type FDISK and press Enter. Answer
Yes to enabling large drive support if you see the message. You should get
to the FDISK Menu. Select the option to Delete partitions. Select the option
to Delete Non-DOS partitions if your install of XP was the NTFS format. If
the format was FAT32 then select the option to Delete Primary Partitions.
Delete the partition. Esc back to the FDISK Menu. No select the option to
Create Partitions. Create a Primary Partition. When finished leave the
floppy in the drive and Esc out and reboot. At the command prompt type
FORMAT C: and press Enter. That will format the drive as FAT32. When
finished pop your Windows Me CD into the drive and change to the drive
letter
of your CD and type SETUP.EXE

If in the future you wish to upgrade to XP you have the advise supplied in
the previous posts to work with including this
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> Thanks Sharon but in trying to install ME I was taken through all the
steps
> the Team advised on without any probs. The only prob is I want ME only at
> this stage and can't find out how to uninstall/delete WindowsXP or format

> the drive to achieve this, Best Wishes, Henry.
> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:38:05 +0100, henry21 wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for your help but I do wish to install Windows ME in order to
use
> >> existing hardware that wont run in XP.
> >> The 2 disks I have, ME and XP Upgrade are both legal discs purchased at
> >> Retail Outlets. I have a new laptop bought with XP installed so now I
> >> wish
> >> to format my hard drive for the old comp but dont know how, Thanks
again

> > Henry, putting the possible hardware issues aside for the moment, you
> > would
> > not need to install WinME before installing XP. You will need the WinME
CD
> > for a step during the setup (proof of a previous version of Windows) but
> > that's all you need it for.
> >
> > Ken gave you two good links for step-by-step articles that walk you
> > through
> > the setup process including formatting the hard drive. Suggest taking a
> > look at those. The directions are good and the screen shots of the setup
> > screens are a very handy reference.
> >
> > Coming back to the hardware on the desktop -- as long as the system
meets
> > the minimum system requirements for XP, there's a good chance the
install
> > will go well. If there's hardware you have a question about - post here.
> >
> > The upgrade advisor that the others have mentioned is rather dated but
> > would still be appropriate for an older desktop. It would also point out
> > any software that may not be compatible with XP. (You'll need to decide
> > how
> > essential any incompatible software is to you and whether or not you
want
> > to live without it.) The advisor is included on the WinXP upgrade CD.
You
> > can run it without making any changes to the existing setup. Read the
> > report and then decide what you want to do.
> >
> > And remember - If, for whatever reason, an XP install doesn't work out,
> > you
> > can always start over and do a clean install of WinME instead.
> >
> > --
> > Sharon F
> > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

My initial mail did state that I wished to format the drive and do a clean
install of ME and 'possibly' upgrade to XP at a later date. I took the
route suggested which formatted the drive and only put XP on. Nothing is
shown in the Control Panel/Add remove so I can't uninstall and I think the
route given, which I took, has taken ME off. I am new to this and I can't
tell you what you have to know if I don't know what you want to know. Can
we please start again or forget it Thanks for all your advice anyway it has
learnt me a lot even if it didn't solve my dilemma, Henry.
> [...]
>> > here.
>> >
>> > The upgrade advisor that the others have mentioned is rather dated but
>> > would still be appropriate for an older desktop. It would also point
>> > out
>> > any software that may not be compatible with XP. (You'll need to decide
>> > how
>> > essential any incompatible software is to you and whether or not you
> want
>> > to live without it.) The advisor is included on the WinXP upgrade CD.
> You
>> > can run it without making any changes to the existing setup. Read the
>> > report and then decide what you want to do.
>> >
>> > And remember - If, for whatever reason, an XP install doesn't work out,
>> > you
>> > can always start over and do a clean install of WinME instead.

Ok. The reason you don't have the option to remove XP in Add and Remove
Programs is because it was a clean install rather than an "upgrade". This is
a matter of semantics. When we say "upgrade" here we generally mean using
the "upgrade path" which has the user installing a newer version of Windows
directly overtop of an existing version of windows. This can have the
benefit of retaining many of the settings and installed apps as well as
retaining the data on the old system. The downside is that upgrades aren't
always successful especially if a system isn't properly prepared for the
upgrade.

In your case, while you did change operating systems you didn't upgrade you
did a "clean" or "fresh" install. To revert back to Windows Me you will need
to follow the second option I gave in my preceding post.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:46:40 +0100, henry21 wrote:

> I am new to this and I can't
> tell you what you have to know if I don't know what you want to know. Can
> we please start again

Henry, I see that you and Harry are now on the same wavelength so will bow
out for now.

Am posting because I want to say there's nothing wrong with being "new" and
learning these things. All of us were at that point at one time or another
and had the same troubles trying to describe our setup and problems. If in
doubt, always ask more questions. That's a two way exchange that works well
from our side as well as yours. :)

Anyhow, best of luck to you with getting your system back to working the
way that you want it to.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks to everyone for help and advice in the middle of format the power
went off now I think a new hard drive is needed grrrrrrrrrrrr ,Henry

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 09:46:40 +0100, henry21 wrote:
>
>> I am new to this and I can't
>> tell you what you have to know if I don't know what you want to know.
>> Can
>> we please start again
>
> Henry, I see that you and Harry are now on the same wavelength so will bow
> out for now.
>
> Am posting because I want to say there's nothing wrong with being "new"
> and
> learning these things. All of us were at that point at one time or another
> and had the same troubles trying to describe our setup and problems. If in
> doubt, always ask more questions. That's a two way exchange that works
> well
> from our side as well as yours. :)
>
> Anyhow, best of luck to you with getting your system back to working the
> way that you want it to.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User