Quick Question About Western Digital Bare Drive

Opal

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I purchased a WD Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0b/s 3.5" internal hard bare drive. I'm building a new computer and would like to know if I can just copy my current hard drive to the new bare drive, then upgrade to Windows 7? Would that be the less problematic way?

TIA! :D

You're probably better off installing Windows 7 fresh on the new drive - that will eliminate left-over and fragmented files from your old installation. Once the installation is complete you can copy the files you want from your old drive to the new one.

That method also avoids "burning bridges" which might prevent you from going to your old system if you have any problems with the new one.

It's not "Ultimate" vs "OEM", it's "Ultimate Retail" vs. "Ultimate OEM" (or any other edition of Windows "Retail" vs. "OEM").

You can use either one, but with the OEM version once you've installed it you're not allowed to move it to a different system.

Opal

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
That's a older model. If your building a new computer you should get a hdd based on 500GB platters instead of 320GB, they are much faster.

I'm not understanding. I didn't see anything in the description about 320GB platters.

Opal

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS