Sign in with
Your question

4870x2 issue!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2008 8:08:48 PM

Hi I've posted this on another forum, though no one replied :( 

It feels like the card is only using one core and I can't even get it work proberly and games run a lite slow.

I have the latest Bios, chipset, 8.10 CCC and all the Vista updates, yet I get the same result.
I get around 7500p in performance in Vantage and the temps are fine as well as the cpu temps.

Whats up with Crysis? I get some wierd white dots on certain textures and in the "Core" level I get black dots flickering around.

In Bioshock i get around 25-60fps with stuttering(anoying).

When I disable the Catalyst A.I. and run Vantage I get dissformed and mutated texures.
But it's hell iritating that nothing works as indeed. It has been like 4 weeks now and the 4870x2 or the computer doesnt work as indeed.

The specs:
Mobo: P5Q,
PSU: 650W Corsair,
RAM: 6400 4Gb
GPU: 4870x2
HDD: 320GB
CPU: E8400 3.6OC

Is there any good solution to fix this?

More about : 4870x2 issue

October 1, 2008 8:10:34 PM

Have you informed the shop already about this problem? Sounds to me like a software and hardware problem.
a c 88 U Graphics card
October 1, 2008 8:16:57 PM

Take it back to the store, 4 weeks and no improvement would suggest that its faulty.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2008 8:20:39 PM

completely un-install catalyst drivers... then reboot and use driver sweeper (look up on google... guru3d... sorry their site is down for me... don't know why so can't get link) and then re-install 8.9 drivers

once you have done that download gpuz from tech powerup: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1207/mirrors.php

i don't actually know if it shows that there are 2 cores but I think it does... also make sure it reads the gpu as a 4870 X2 and not a 4870, then check clocks and temperatures... most temperatures will be ok unless they idle in like the 90 - 100 C range, it should show clocks around 500 and 900 for core and memory clock respectively, at the bottom of this tab check the box that says keep updating this while gpuz is in the background, then go play your games and make sure the clocks change to 750 and 900 respectively... if they don't change at all thats the issue

EDIT: monsta typed his response in the time it took me to type mine... don't listen to him... hes a Nvidia fanboy and bashes the red team any chance he gets
October 1, 2008 8:25:33 PM

CAT 8.10? Today is the first day of the tenth month and ATi doesn't release drivers till mid month so how can you be using 810 when 8.9 is the only avalible driver from ATi?
October 1, 2008 8:25:52 PM

monsta said:
Take it back to the store, 4 weeks and no improvement would suggest that its faulty.

I know but I hate to RMA, if the card is not broken I will need to pay them 35 euro.

I will reinstall Vista and do a clean install of all the necessary updates and see of there's any improvment.

Will also test memtest86
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2008 8:28:32 PM

wow... by listening to monsta you just proved your not worthy of this forums help...

also stones right... 8.10s are not out
a c 88 U Graphics card
October 1, 2008 8:29:33 PM

Even if it was an Nvidia card I would suggest to take it back with the problems he is encountering, don't be so quick to judge cos you get emotional about a brand.
October 1, 2008 8:30:53 PM

Quote:
completely un-install catalyst drivers... then reboot and use driver sweeper (look up on google... guru3d... sorry their site is down for me... don't know why so can't get link) and then re-install 8.10 drivers

once you have done that download gpuz from tech powerup: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1207/mirrors.php

i don't actually know if it shows that there are 2 cores but I think it does... also make sure it reads the gpu as a 4870 X2 and not a 4870, then check clocks and temperatures... most temperatures will be ok unless they idle in like the 90 - 100 C range, it should show clocks around 500 and 900 for core and memory clock respectively, at the bottom of this tab check the box that says keep updating this while gpuz is in the background, then go play your games and make sure the clocks change to 750 and 900 respectively... if they don't change at all thats the issue

EDIT: monsta typed his response in the time it took me to type mine... don't listen to him... hes a Nvidia fanboy and bashes the red team any chance he gets

Before i installed 8.10, I used the Driver sweeper twice. One after i uninstalled 8.9 and one in safe mode.

stoner133 said:
CAT 8.10? Today is the first day of the tenth month and ATi doesn't release drivers till mid month so how can you be using 810 when 8.9 is the only avalible driver from ATi?

It "beta" slighly better than 8.9 here http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33932940
a c 88 U Graphics card
October 1, 2008 8:34:01 PM

Yup the 8.10 RC2 Beta leaked, thogrom has no clue
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2008 8:35:07 PM

^ lol

i've owned both brands of chip makers... and couldn't care less which one is in the lead... it is a fact though that in the past you have bashed the red team when it was CLEARLY in the lead... and just because you MAYBE have "changed" doesn't mean i can just ignore your past
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2008 8:36:33 PM

ok... don't use betas if you want stability... monsta... its not on their site... i say use OFFICIAL drivers not some cracked beta drivers AMD doesn't support
a c 88 U Graphics card
October 1, 2008 8:44:24 PM

You still have issues about my past.LOL
!