Sign in with
Your question

Not sure if this is suposed to happen....

Last response: in Overclocking
December 1, 2009 10:48:35 PM

heya,

im new here and to the ocing art but am now becoming more confident in trying it out.

i have jest purchased a new rig comprising of:

core i5 -750
Zalman CNPS9900-NT CPU Cooler
4GB G.SKILL ripjaw pc 12800 1600mhz
msi p55-gd65
corsair vx 450w psu

according to cpu-z i am runing @

3.2ghz @ a core voltage of 1.3 (mobo sent it auto)

i had this by only turning the intel xmp profile on and disabling turbo ( was told to do this)

is this voltage to high? should i manualy lower it?

also im a tad scared to keep this oc as it is (like i mentioned im new at this and dont want my brand new system to go bang )

is it safe to keep this oc constantly for the life of my system? ( wil mostly jest be gaming)

point to consider:
very very rare will i hit 100% usage on all 4 cores

so any advice / criticism would be greatly appreciated or any comments or suggestions on how to improve what i have is great.

in a nutshell im jest worried that using xmp profile on and turbo off to make a clock speed of 3.2 and using this oc for the life of my system will ruin it quick.
and if i not maxing out my system is ocing really going to increase my performance?

jest a paranoid new ocer here thanks for your time in helping

ps. also for soem strange reason on everything stock on first boot cpu-z states im running at 2.8ghz on idle
checked in bios and everything is default :S any suggestions?
cpu-z states 133.7 x 21 = 2.8 duno how its getting this bios is set to 20x
turbo off sets the clock to 2.6 as it is supposed to be but with it on all 4 cores are runign 2.8 :s is this normal even tho load on all 4 cores are 0%? dosent turbo only ment to kick in when u need it and not stay on all the time?

More about : suposed happen

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2009 10:00:10 AM

Quote:
3.2ghz @ a core voltage of 1.3 (mobo sent it auto)

i had this by only turning the intel xmp profile on and disabling turbo ( was told to do this)

is this voltage to high? should i manualy lower it?

Yes, it is way too high! My i5@3.6GHz has a CPU-Z 100% load Vcore of 1.216V.

Quote:
is it safe to keep this oc constantly for the life of my system? ( wil mostly jest be gaming)

For a such minor(3.2GHz) OC, you have nothing to worry about in a decade.

Quote:
is ocing really going to increase my performance?

Of course, that's the point of OCing. BTW, i5 can easily reach 3.6GHz near(if not at) stock voltage.
The i5's datasheet can be downloaded here.

Quote:
ps. also for soem strange reason on everything stock on first boot cpu-z states im running at 2.8ghz on idle

It is normal, because the i5 automatically add 1 bin for you. i5 should actually be sold as a 133x21=2.8GHz instead of 133x20=2.66GHz

Turning off the Turbo Boost Technology will reduce to bin to 20x which you don't want unless you are OCing.

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 24, 2009 10:07:20 AM

FYI

absolute MIN / absolute MAX / MIN / TYPICAL/STOCK / MAX
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vcore: -0.3V / 1.55V / 0.65V / 1.25V / 1.40V

Vtt: -0.3V / 1.21V / 1.045V / 1.10V / 1.155V

RAM: -0.3V / 1.65V / 1.425V / 1.5V / 1.575V

PLL: -0.3V / 1.98V / 1.71V / 1.80V / 1.89V
!