ineedzhelp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Sorry i dont know if this is the right thread to post this in.

Ok so here's my probelm. my friends hard disk drive stopped working... his computer blue screens on him all the time. so what we did is bought a new hard disk drive, also his laptop doesnt have a working cd drive.

my idea was getting a sata to usb connection that i saw on newegg... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

and put the OS to install onto the hdd connected through the usb port. i was wondering if this would work? if not what could i do?

ive also installed the hdd into his laptop and it just says that it cannot find a OS so thats why i came here. hopefully you guys can help.

vibe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
You probably wont be able to install an OS to a drive connected by USB as the USB drivers need an OS to function.

depends on what you want to achieve...

1) To get your friends laptop working again, install new HD into laptop having removed the old one and load OS to it, download drivers/updates etc

2) As above but with recovery of user data, same as step one but in addition, inser the old HD into another PC using a spare SATA port - mount the drive in your OS but not as the primary boot device. Load your OS to detect the newley inserted damaged drive, recover desitred files and folders from HD onto CD/DVD/USB/whatever media you have access to. Insert said media into newly repaired laptop

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
i know that i am old but from what i see is 1. you need to get the the cd working or get a usb cd drive that way you can try to install os on new hd or at least burn some downloaded programs off of your puter to try to find what is really going on with the friends laptop, hope this helps

ineedzhelp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
we reformatted it 2 times. at start up it required you to push f1 to continue starting up. also where it said to push f1 that a hard disk drive problem was detected to back up data failure is imminent. obviously not word for word as i said it but along thoes lines. ill look into getting a usb cd drive then or maybe fixing his cd drive if possible. thank you guys for your help again, much appreciated.