Sign in with
Your question

What's up with Big Bang II

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 1, 2008 8:30:48 PM

Ok, after hearing anywhere from 2-3 months ago about this "groud-breaking" release of the forceware 180 drivers that will include SLI and multiple monitor support, I have heard nothing.

nVidia said September, and I know we are only a few days out, but has anyone heard a thing about the new drivers. I was planning on another GPU, possibly another 8800 GTS, maybe upgrade to a GX2, or even get just a 9800 GT, since mix-and-match will be allowed as well, but no word. I don't want to buy a product that won't work.

I've searched the internet and forums and no luck. Has anyone heard anything yet? Since I am stuck in the nVidia camp and already have dual monitors, I am anxiously waiting for this possibility.

Thanks

More about : big bang

October 1, 2008 8:42:44 PM

wait without going to into nvcpl and disabling sli?

HALLELUJAH MY WORRIES ARE OVER!

and no i haven't heard of this until reading this thread.
October 1, 2008 8:50:05 PM

Dang - I thought this was going to be about CERN (the supercollider that's now broke and won't be back up until spring).
Related resources
October 1, 2008 9:06:28 PM

piratepast40 said:
Dang - I thought this was going to be about CERN (the supercollider that's now broke and won't be back up until spring).

yeah i was hoping for something a bit more interesting too :p 
October 1, 2008 9:13:30 PM

Lol, Big Bang II. So far, it had all been just a lot of big talk. I'll believe the performance increase when I see it. :p 
a b Î Nvidia
October 1, 2008 9:23:10 PM

I don't recall Nvidia claiming that BBII was supposed to increase performance. It was supposed to add new features. And no, I haven't heard any news on its arrival.
October 1, 2008 9:41:22 PM

I have a wait and see attitude myself.
October 1, 2008 9:49:21 PM

piratepast40 said:

It Broke?

Im excited in the most nerd way possible about what results this machine will bring.

**sorry for the hijack of the thread
October 1, 2008 10:06:08 PM

LOL - It is interesting about the super collider. I was thinking more of my little computer, not something that can create black holes.

It's a bummer to be sitting here and waiting on them, though I am sure they have bigger fish to fry (lawsuits, falling stock, getting their butt kicked by ATI, etc).

I'll sit her with my fingers crossed and wait for September....wait....that already happened. I hope they didn't next September.
October 1, 2008 10:17:35 PM

grieve said:
It Broke?

Im excited in the most nerd way possible about what results this machine will bring.

**sorry for the hijack of the thread

Yep it broke and due to the coming of winter they don't think they will be able to repair it till the spring. Problems warming it up to a sutable temp to let humans enter it.
October 2, 2008 2:04:32 AM

I don't know about the 180 drivers, but nvidia did just release the 178 driver update as of Sep. 25. On there site it says
Quote:

* Single GPU increases up to 11% in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)
* Single GPU increases up to 11% in Assassin's Creed DX10
* Single GPU increases up to 15% in Bioshock DX10
* Single GPU increases up to 15% in Call of Duty 4
* Single GPU increases up to 8% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
* 2-way SLI increases up to 7% in Bioshock DX10
* 2-way SLI increases up to 10% in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts DX10
* 2-way SLI increases up to 12% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
* 2-way SLI increases up to 10% in World in Conflict DX10

whether those stats are true I don't know but that's what it says.
October 2, 2008 2:42:34 AM

I have these drivers, and from what I can tell they are nothing more than a standard update. I don't know why Nvidia dropped the 180 moniker on them, but I have verified that they don't really do anything for SLI in the department of a a dual-monitor set up (I have both, and I really, really wish this update would allow me to use both simultaneously).
October 2, 2008 1:43:27 PM

they only released forceware 178.13 recently but its october now and still nothing.
October 2, 2008 3:22:22 PM

This IS NVIDIA we're talking about here...I figured mid-Novemember anyways..
October 2, 2008 3:34:36 PM

Re-creating the big bang... good times. It is a shame that project is derailed for the moment.

Some crazy scientists think CERN will destroy us in the process of creating a mini big bang.
a b Î Nvidia
October 2, 2008 9:39:49 PM

Hey CNN n00bs !!

CERN is an organization (like NIST or NRC), not an accelerator/collider, you're thinking of LHC the Large Hadron Collider.

And yes it will create a singularity that will destroy the solar system, at least that's my hope to rid us of the luddites !! :kaola: 

As for the Drivers, meh they were mainly feature tweaks, but the slides did specifically mention "Performance Optimizations" as a primary bullet point.
October 3, 2008 9:57:46 AM

I think it's hilarious how this has slid into a discussion about the Large Hadron Collider.

I'm a little bummed that the drivers are not out. It's not as much the performance issue for me, but the fact that I have two displays and would like to get another card for SLI and still be able to use them.

Oh well. Just wait on nVidia, I guess.
October 3, 2008 3:01:43 PM

ok... back to the Large Hadron Collider. :) 
October 3, 2008 4:06:57 PM

LOL
October 5, 2008 10:39:01 PM

stoner133 said:
Yep it broke and due to the coming of winter they don't think they will be able to repair it till the spring. Problems warming it up to a sutable temp to let humans enter it.

lol what ever, they are just fixing a few magnets its NOTHING to do with winter being to cold :cry: 
October 20, 2008 12:56:00 AM

Saw some news recently about the Big Bang II being near completion. I can only hope. I guess September was just a little over zealous on their part, huh?

Let me know if you see any more news.
November 8, 2008 11:26:15 PM

Ok, heard news not too long ago about nVidia bringing out the 180 drivers, but then still nothing...

Anyone else able to get any news on this? I was really hoping to add another 8800 GTS (especially with the prices continuing to drop), or even upgrade and use the GTS as a part of a mismatched pair - I think that's supposed to be possible with the Big Bang II.

Ok...if anyone has heard a thing, thanks.
November 9, 2008 1:37:38 AM

I,found a link to it on elite bastards~view topic- Nvidia geforce beta drive 180.43.It's a forum but the first post has a link to it.Haven't tried it myself though.
November 10, 2008 1:53:36 AM

grieve said:
ok... back to the Large Hadron Collider. :) 

Only about 5 miles from me too :D 
November 10, 2008 3:21:39 PM

Lol - hilarious. This always ends up back to the LHC.

Anyone got any news on that thing? When will it be back up and running?
November 18, 2008 1:21:39 AM

LHC FTW!!!!!!
!