Ok, after hearing anywhere from 2-3 months ago about this "groud-breaking" release of the forceware 180 drivers that will include SLI and multiple monitor support, I have heard nothing.
nVidia said September, and I know we are only a few days out, but has anyone heard a thing about the new drivers. I was planning on another GPU, possibly another 8800 GTS, maybe upgrade to a GX2, or even get just a 9800 GT, since mix-and-match will be allowed as well, but no word. I don't want to buy a product that won't work.
I've searched the internet and forums and no luck. Has anyone heard anything yet? Since I am stuck in the nVidia camp and already have dual monitors, I am anxiously waiting for this possibility.
I don't know about the 180 drivers, but nvidia did just release the 178 driver update as of Sep. 25. On there site it says
* Single GPU increases up to 11% in 3DMark Vantage (performance preset)
* Single GPU increases up to 11% in Assassin's Creed DX10
* Single GPU increases up to 15% in Bioshock DX10
* Single GPU increases up to 15% in Call of Duty 4
* Single GPU increases up to 8% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
* 2-way SLI increases up to 7% in Bioshock DX10
* 2-way SLI increases up to 10% in Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts DX10
* 2-way SLI increases up to 12% in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
* 2-way SLI increases up to 10% in World in Conflict DX10
whether those stats are true I don't know but that's what it says.
I have these drivers, and from what I can tell they are nothing more than a standard update. I don't know why Nvidia dropped the 180 moniker on them, but I have verified that they don't really do anything for SLI in the department of a a dual-monitor set up (I have both, and I really, really wish this update would allow me to use both simultaneously).
I think it's hilarious how this has slid into a discussion about the Large Hadron Collider.
I'm a little bummed that the drivers are not out. It's not as much the performance issue for me, but the fact that I have two displays and would like to get another card for SLI and still be able to use them.
Ok, heard news not too long ago about nVidia bringing out the 180 drivers, but then still nothing...
Anyone else able to get any news on this? I was really hoping to add another 8800 GTS (especially with the prices continuing to drop), or even upgrade and use the GTS as a part of a mismatched pair - I think that's supposed to be possible with the Big Bang II.