Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help picking out water cooling components

Last response: in Overclocking
December 2, 2009 1:53:55 AM

Hello,
I am getting ready to assemble my first water cooling system. I've built my share of computers, but this is entirely new to me so I need some assistance. :) 

My rig is as follows:
EVGA x58 SLI mobo
i7 920 @ 3.8
Prolimatech Megahalem cooler
ATi 4890 (soon to be 5870)
1000watt Corsair PSU
3x2gb sticks OCZ RAM
CoolerMaster ATCS 840 Case

The parts I have picked out for my water cooling so far are:

Swiftech Apogee GTZ i7 CPU waterblock
3 Scyth Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans
Feser triple 120mm Radiator
Frozen.Q t-virus reservoir

What I NEED help with are the following;

Tubing, pump, fittings, coolant

Mostly I'm confused on the pump! I don't know what to get. I want to fit the entire cooling setup in my case, if possible.
Also, please provide links/prices.. I would LOVE it if I could get everything off of Newegg and/or FrozenCPU.

My goal is to only have a CPU loop right now, but I would like to be able to add in 1-2 GPUs to the loop in the future.

Thank you!!! :D 
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 2, 2009 2:04:53 AM

Here ya go. pay attention to the links. lots explained. Pumps, hose, fittings, coolant. the one Hokie wrote will be your biggest help, it's in the guides.

Look at the top of this forum, see the post Watercooling Guide?

BTW, the XT is better than the GTZ now.
And there are better/cheaper stores, it's in the guide too. Did you see it before you decided to post?
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 2, 2009 2:08:00 AM

Noticed you want a CPU only loop to start. You got a decent start. Build it. if your going to dual GPUs, and hot ones, you'll want a fully seperate loop for them.

TWO rads, TWO pumps, TWO fully seperate loops. It's getting common, you have to deal with physics and heat properties. You can olny cool so much in one loop.
Related resources
December 2, 2009 2:09:18 AM

Gah I'm sorry - I've been reading things all day on lots of other sites, I just forgot to look when I finally posted here. Sorry. But what is the XT? Who makes it?

So I will need 2 loops if I want to cool GPU(s)? Wow. :o  Will I need 2 loops even for just 1 video card? My case is pretty big, but I don't think it is big enough for 2 full loops!

Best solution

a c 86 K Overclocking
December 2, 2009 2:33:55 AM

If you go one CPU/GPU and hot ones like you have, then you'll need at a MINIMUM a 120x4 sized rad. You'll see my comments in the guide.

You gotta learn, and it takes DAYS/week or two about heatload and what rads (many types) can dissipate your heatload, then are you adverse to high noise or need quiet?

Please take your time, it's a very expensive purchase and doing it wrong sucks, besides smoking a mobo or PSU due to leaks.

The XT is the replacement from Gabe at Swiftech for the GTZ. It's even better than the HK. But EK is releasing a new EK Supreme, testing by Skinnee in January.

You'll learn a lot from my guide, but it's the links I provide and homework that will get you on the right path.
December 2, 2009 2:44:55 AM

OK, thank you for your help Conumdrum - I will read through your guides tommorow evening and repost here if I have any questions.

Cheers, have a great night.
a c 86 K Overclocking
December 2, 2009 2:58:13 AM

Ohh, come to OC Forums, you'd be welcome there. MANY more quality experianced watercoolers there.

Take your time tho, no rush. Read through my guide in 15 min if that, spend a few days on the links. DAYS........................

Then you'll really know what to ask to set your parts list.
!