Memory Choosing Help

pmacdonald

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
I'm looking to get the best RAM to help me achieve the greatest possible overclock. I'll be using the following:

E8400
P5Q Pro
PC Power and Cooling 750W
ATI Radeon 4870
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler w/the retention bracket
NZXT Tempest Case
Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound

I was looking at the OCZ Reaper HPC Edition DDR2 800 RAM with 4-4-4-12 timing and Cas 4 latency: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267

What's your recommendation.

pmacdonald

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway. What do you mean by 'modules' I'm guessing that's the number of memory sticks?

I'll be using 4GB of memory. I don't see a need for 8GB in a non-Core i7 PC. If you think the benefits are worth it then please say so and explain why.

That G.SKILL does look tempting. It's also less money that I initially have to lay down. Is that .3 voltage difference worth it?

A memory module and a memory stick are synonymous. The G.Skill requires 1.9V, the the OCZ 2.1V and the Crucial 2.0V. They're all good, but lower voltages usually are better. With the rebate, the OCZ is the least expensive and it meets your requirements if don't need more than 4GB of memory. You would need more than 4GB only if you were running a 64-bit OS (you didn't specify what OS you'll use) and programs that can take advantage of it, e.g., running VMware workstation and several VMs, some video encoding applications, etc.

pmacdonald

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
I will be running Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders.

I will not be running VMware as of now. I will be running the Adobe Master Collection though. But that should run fine on 4GB of ram correct?

Adobe recommend a minimum of 2GB for one application and 1GB for another, but no maximum. If execution speed is important, then go with 8GB or at least select a memory kit that will allow you to increase memory from 4GB (2x2GB) to 8GB (4x2GB).

pmacdonald

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
At this point in time I don't feel the need for 8GB of ram, even with adobe. I even run adobe on my current Intel Celeron with 512MB of RAM. It may take awhile to load but it works. I'm going with 4GB because the budget is tight but thanks for the info.