I heard a "pop" when i put in a new power supply for my computer.

3TTTA

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Hello,
I just recently bought a new power supply for my computer it gives 400w power while my old one gave 250w. After installing everything, i turned on everything as soon as i turned my computer on the power button was blue like normally then i heard pop and it all went off. I kept tryin to turn it on and nothing. I installed the old one back in and all i get is uncontrolled fans and a yellow light on the power button. I have a Dell Inspiron 530s slim if anyones wondering. The power supply was a dynex atx 400 watt suplly

Solution
Hi :)

It sounds like your new psu blew your motherboard :(

I never heard of that make but I am UK so may not sell here anyway.....

If it was the psu killed your mobo, I would try claiming off whoever sold it to you, for a new mobo and whatever else it blew...

For now , I would take it to a computer repair shop (like the ones I own in the UK) and get a WRITTEN Engineers report....for your claim..

All the best Brett :)

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Don't know much about your computer but I do that Dell used (and maybe still uses) proprietary PSU's. The only ones that worked with their motherboards were ones you bought from them. That may be your problem. :(

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Well considering you can get the PSU for $20, I think it was just a crap PSU that blew up your motherboard. I think Dynex is Best Buy's house brand. Try going to the vendor and telling them what happened (with the written report).

cmi86

Distinguished
And the morel of the story is do not ever buy a cheap power supply. I know it's nice to save a bit of money but the PSU is the one component in your system that has the ability to turn your entire system into smoldering rubble so it's better to just spent the 50-60 bucks and get a PSU from a reputable manufacturer.

3TTTA

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Um thanks and i have something else i didnt mention when i first posted. I plugged in a wrong cable in a wrong section in what i think is the motherboard. I dont know much about computers so i dont know what its called. I think it may be called the floppy drive connector? I connected this cable on these little metal sticks pointing up theyre small and thin. I found out right after my computer didnt have that connection. The cable fit in the sticks ok so i thought "yes this is where it went".I know that was a dumb move but i was under some pressure and was really trying. Is this repairable? and thanks to everyone for their help. Off topic but this site is great. I signed up with little hope and thinking no-one would ever answer.

Connecting a FDD Berg connector from the power supply to a fan header on the motherboard would short out a power supply and possibly damage the copper traces on the motherboard.

If any of the copper traces on the motherboard have been damaged/melted internally there is no way of repairing it. You will have to replace the motherboard.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

If your old 250w PSU is still in workable condition try it. If you still get nothing you probably fried your new PSU and or your motherboard.

Solution