Which ASUS board for an i7 920 nehalem

Hi all, I'm currently putting together parts for a custom i7 920 computer build (mostly a gaming rig). I live near a Microcenter, so I'm going with the i7 920 since it's $199 there. The issue I'm having is in chosing a Motherboard for my build. Most of the recommendations I've recieved are for an ASUS board. However, there are a number of different models for the 1366 socket. There's the P6T SE, D, Delexe, V2, etc. Which board makes the most sense. I'm planning on using a single Radeon 5850 if I can find one, but am open to using 2 GPU's if it makes the most sense. I'd prefer to invest my money on the single 5850 though, since it'll cost the same as a 2 GPU set up, and will allow me to add another when I may need to, years down the road.

Also, if some of you think a different board is just as good, or more cost effective without losing too much with respect to quality, I'm all ears (or would it be all eyes in a forum? :-). The ASUS boards are running around $290, which is pricy. I've seen the AsRock x58 listed as a TomHardsware recommended buy, but some have opined that it's a crappy board, although others swear by it. I've seen that all the boards are generally 4 out of 5 stars on Newegg, regardless of price, but that there are more RMA's for some, than there are others.

Thanks in advance!
5 answers Last reply
More about which asus board nehalem
  1. A simple P6T at the lower end should suffice for a single card while maintaining option t go higher. W/o a budget and other requirements (i.e SAS ?), it's hard to go further.

Asus Rampage II Extreme is the Overclocker's dream but it will be replaced within 306 months w/ new version. WS Supercomputer is for those who want 4 vid cards, SASS and anything else ya could think of..
  2. i say...go with a rampage II gene..thats what i dide mate...its a great board comparing its value and how it perform...it cost around 220 or 230$ nt sure
  3. I'd go for an ASUS P6T SE. The Rampage GENE II is nice, but the mATX lay out could be problematic if you plan to run CrossFire down the road.

P6T SE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131386

PS: Don't listen to most Newegg reviews. They are written by n00bs and can't be trusted.
  4. Shadow703793 said:
    I'd go for an ASUS P6T SE. The Rampage GENE II is nice, but the mATX lay out could be problematic if you plan to run CrossFire down the road.

P6T SE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131386

PS: Don't listen to most Newegg reviews. They are written by n00bs and can't be trusted.

just got my rampage II gene man..its a great board...but i guess ur kinda right am worried a lil about SLI'ng so i dno what to do:/ hope they will fit
  5. p6t se good choice for OC the i7 920 also ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Asus Intel i7 Overclocking