Which ASUS board for an i7 920 nehalem

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Asus
  • Intel i7
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 2, 2009 7:25:54 PM

Hi all, I'm currently putting together parts for a custom i7 920 computer build (mostly a gaming rig). I live near a Microcenter, so I'm going with the i7 920 since it's $199 there. The issue I'm having is in chosing a Motherboard for my build. Most of the recommendations I've recieved are for an ASUS board. However, there are a number of different models for the 1366 socket. There's the P6T SE, D, Delexe, V2, etc. Which board makes the most sense. I'm planning on using a single Radeon 5850 if I can find one, but am open to using 2 GPU's if it makes the most sense. I'd prefer to invest my money on the single 5850 though, since it'll cost the same as a 2 GPU set up, and will allow me to add another when I may need to, years down the road.

Also, if some of you think a different board is just as good, or more cost effective without losing too much with respect to quality, I'm all ears (or would it be all eyes in a forum? :-). The ASUS boards are running around $290, which is pricy. I've seen the AsRock x58 listed as a TomHardsware recommended buy, but some have opined that it's a crappy board, although others swear by it. I've seen that all the boards are generally 4 out of 5 stars on Newegg, regardless of price, but that there are more RMA's for some, than there are others.

Thanks in advance!

More about : asus board 920 nehalem

a c 414 V Motherboard
a c 210 Ĉ ASUS
a c 281 K Overclocking
December 4, 2009 3:53:31 PM

A simple P6T at the lower end should suffice for a single card while maintaining option t go higher. W/o a budget and other requirements (i.e SAS ?), it's hard to go further.

Asus Rampage II Extreme is the Overclocker's dream but it will be replaced within 306 months w/ new version. WS Supercomputer is for those who want 4 vid cards, SASS and anything else ya could think of..
m
l
December 16, 2009 6:31:47 PM

i say...go with a rampage II gene..thats what i dide mate...its a great board comparing its value and how it perform...it cost around 220 or 230$ nt sure
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 17, 2009 9:46:30 PM

I'd go for an ASUS P6T SE. The Rampage GENE II is nice, but the mATX lay out could be problematic if you plan to run CrossFire down the road.

P6T SE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PS: Don't listen to most Newegg reviews. They are written by n00bs and can't be trusted.
m
l
December 19, 2009 8:50:54 PM

Shadow703793 said:
I'd go for an ASUS P6T SE. The Rampage GENE II is nice, but the mATX lay out could be problematic if you plan to run CrossFire down the road.

P6T SE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PS: Don't listen to most Newegg reviews. They are written by n00bs and can't be trusted.

just got my rampage II gene man..its a great board...but i guess ur kinda right am worried a lil about SLI'ng so i dno what to do:/ hope they will fit
m
l
December 20, 2009 9:08:54 PM

p6t se good choice for OC the i7 920 also ?
m
l