Danger DEN CPX pro pump in motherboard fan header

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
is it safe to plug it into a motherboard fan plug? its rated at mx power consumption: 18w and minimum start voltage 8w. i read a review and they guy said this: "DO NOT PLUG INTO A MOBO FAN HEADER" because it blew his motherboard out in a week, the pump comes with a 3 pin connecter for the purpose of plugging into a mobo fan header but should i buy a 3 pin to molex adapter? and i want to plug it into the nearest header on my motherboard and thats a 4 pin header that says CHA_FAN1, can i plug into that one?
any help will be great thanks, if you need anymore info let me know

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
What is your max allowable current on that fan header? Start voltage is 8V, not 8w.

12 volts
18 watts
= 1.5 amps

Will the header support 2 amps for a bit of headroom? Probably not. only the CPU header is rated for higher amps. Check your mobo book.

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008

thanks, i will find the book and let you know
EDIT: just looked through the book and it doesnt say what the max current is, it just lists all of them and gives you the location of them

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
MY book (TOP X58 mobo, over $300) can't find it either. I'd be careful. Are you capable with a soldering iron and heatshrink? Just cut the wires and put them on a PSU molex. red to red black to black, forget the yellow wire, no need.

Your pump is sold by Danger Den, it's rebadged from another brand. Decent pump. Open a ticket on his website and ask what they think is best. These better pumps will run forever and no need to monitor RPMs or adjust speeds. If DD says umm, depends on your mobo, then cut n paste with a molex connector.

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008

is a video or some sort of tutorial that shows me how to do that? i tried google and youtube and got nothing, after learning more about it im sure i can become capable of doing it.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
By now you should have plenty of old connectors laying around from old PSUs and mobos.

Cut the RED wire. Put a piece of heatshrink over the wire back from the heat. Cut the other red wire. Strip 3/8" of each wire. Twist together. Solder. Put heatshrink over the wire, heat with a lighter.

Repeat with the black wire.

Or buy a adaptor.

OMG, I can't believe I just typed that. It's just soldering two wires together, I was doing that in 5th grade and I'm 51 now.........

But hey, when I was 31, I was teaching soldering to new electronic techs to repair aircraft wiring. So my life experiances might be different.

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008

LOL!.
sounds easy enough for me to do..................!